none
VPN Issues - Cannot access resources

Question

• I have this issue where I had setup VPN access to server 2012 essentials using the access anywhere built in to the server. I can connect to the VPN; however when I try to access a share or try to ping it does not work. I also cannot ping the local IP when at the server when the RRAS service is started. I did use the cisco RV130 to create a PPTP VPN and stopped the RRAS services on the server. I can ping the server by it's IP address and the FQDN. I can also access the shares using the FQDN, but since the shares are mapped via just the server name, this does not work very well for us. Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to get the built in VPN working on server.

Jorden Drew

Monday, May 07, 2018 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>however when I try to access a share or try to ping it does not work.
    What is the detail error message of failed share access, or, ping IP address?

Make sure that post 139 is not blocked. If possible, please try to disable Windows Firewall on both server and client, and connect to VPN to confirm share folder accessing and ping IP address.

Besides, open VPN connection properties, manually enter the destination domain suffix, and try to manually assign the DNS server, then, check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jorden Drew Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jorden Drew Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:51 AM
  • Manually setting the DNS prefix worked. Already had the DNS server IP done. Thanks a lot!

Jorden Drew

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:28 PM
  • Actually one quick thing. It does work when connecting to the PPTP VPN through the router, but not the SSTP one through the server.

Jorden Drew

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Any ideas??

Jorden Drew

Thursday, May 10, 2018 12:42 PM