Another Windows Installer could not be accessed error RRS feed

• Question

• I have worked through this repeatedly with various application installations since working with Windows 7 Home, and have a list of steps to take, but have yet another application I cannot install because it cannot access the Windows Installer.  And none of the recommended steps work.

Is there any source document of what is known to cause that problem to date, and any tools that can be used to diagnose further situations that cause that result? 

Or any detailed explanation of what is required for an application to be able to access Windows 7 Windows Installer? 

Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:58 PM

Answers

• There are few things you can try:

Extract the basic driver package using winzip/7zip and point the add printer wizard to the extracted folder.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-85599-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=4066429&sw_lang=

IF that didnt help download the files I uploaded here, extract and point the printer driver wizard to it.

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=be22aef4-78cd-4137-85da-dee92806b92e  [Email forumt2-at-microsoft-dot-com to get the workspace password]

Also have you already tried setting th Wow64 key to 1 to test install? 

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:25 PM
  • The basic file cannot be extracted with WinZip. 

I have tried the Wow64 key.

Can you provide a complete email address to obtain the password for your workspace?

I also have the installation CD that ships with the product, and if you can identity the directory involved, could use that to point the printer install to.

This turns out to be simple with Windows 7 if I had your information when this started.

Pointing the Add Printer to the CD took care of the entire problem with the driver. 

I still cannot install the HP setup software that later started up after that was completed, but at this point, I have full use of the printer and don't care about the rest of it.

Thanks very much.

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Working through the installation logs for all the Windows Installer errors of any installation I have had this problem with, which were confined to x64 after I restored a very old restore point prior to running any of the Fix-It scripts, none of them failed for an actual Windows Installer error as what created the failed installations per se.

But changing the path to Windows Installer for the Windows Installer Service to system32 instead of SysWOW64, eliminated every single error with any problem I have had like this, with anybody's products.

From Office 2010 to the HP software for this printer, to Intuit problems with its products since I was unable to update and submit electronically from TurboTax last year for tax code changes since TurboTax was originally released with some of its forms in an incomplete state the users were warned was due to legislation in progress.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm the following situation.

1. Have you checked Windows Installer Service? Did it run properly? If not, did you receive any error message?

2. What the "Another Windows Installer" means?

3. Is any Windows Installer running when you run another Windows Installer?

4. What steps did you try?

Based on this situation, please check if you have taken the following methods. If not, please try it.

1. Scan for viruses with your security software.

2. Perform clean boot.

3. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and make sure Msiexec.exe exists in this directory.

4. Locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer, in the right pane, check ImagePath value data is %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /V

5. Boot in Safe Mode, open CMD, type:

msiexec /unregister

msiexec /regserver

6. Open CMD, type: sfc /scannow

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:16 AM
  • I have already been through the system.  And this is a 64 bit by the way, which needs to the registry to use the 64 bit version for that entry.

I am looking for the technical requirements for Windows Installer to work, and for the security changes from Windows xP to Windows 7. 

The problem is clearly a major one with Windows 7, and out of scope for what has been developed to date.  Therefore I am looking for technical details and any tools that could be recommended that would reveal useful information that currently is nearly impossible.

The HP installation that is failing also does not return any error codes, so its very difficult to determine what is going wrong.  And it is a completely encapsulated install that deletes itself, which eliminates performing the install manually, and Microsoft does not have drivers for this that it can install without HP yet for this printer.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid I am not clear about the situation you encountered. Would you please let me know what the printer mode failed to install? What is the exactly error message? If there is no driver for the printer, try to install Vista driver with compatibility mode.

Method:

Right click install file -> Troubleshoot compatibility -> Try recommended settings -> Start the program -> next -> save the settings.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:27 AM
  • I have not been able to get any detailed information that I can work with on this, and so have taken the CD they recommend users not use under these conditions, which has led to the following observations.

If I just run the .msi files manually, I have been able to install the Help and the HP Updater, but not the drivers for the printer (HP 3000), which Microsoft does not have for Plug and Play installation of drivers.

Its that one .msi file that is not able to access Windows Installer.

And so as I said, the problem is a none of the above as its specific to one file.

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Are you able to install other .msi files? Try installing some basic msi packages from Microsoft downloads or other softwares. Do they install?

What is the exact printer model you are trying to install? Inkjet/laserjet?

Is the driver certified compatible with Win7 or is it an older driver CD ?

How many machines are affected?

You can try importing the following registry from a working machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

Please provide more specifics about the issue.

Friday, August 12, 2011 10:57 AM
  • This is also posted to the Windows 7 Security forum because the problem has appeared with a change in security for installation with Windows 7.

The printer is a relatively new, inexpensive HP that cost not much more than the color cartridge for my very very old defunct one, which has Plug and Play support via Windows, as the new one does not yet.

I eventually located the .msi files on the CD the printer shipped with, and the only one that is abending with this error message is the one installing the driver. 

A log file from that attempted install is located at https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=f6f6851afa4be5bd&resid=F6F6851AFA4BE5BD!127

This has turned into a problem that is including error codes common to problems Intuit has developed with some of its installations for Windows 7, which I am going to take a look at again when I have time to, but would prefer assistance instead of reinventing the wheel that has some release problems including not making the printer one that can be installed by Plug and Play.

I am at the point where I would like to take the printer back, which involves restocking fees and driving to where I bought it.

I am also not interested in finding out the housekeeping involved with installations on Windows 7 that doing this by hand can create other major problems with.

But right now I have had multiple Intuit products have the same problem, that they solved partially by having customers reinstall the entire application to apply updates, and otherwise cannot fix.

So I am interested in locating good technical documentation and anything that is less general than advising the consumer to take standard steps for nonspecific and often temp file related problems, that give some specific and useful indication of how to tell what has gone wrong, and how to fix it.

Along with what the last time I think included incompatible Windows updates that did this in part to the Intuit product, and was not possible to permanently fix.

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:40 PM
  • If the other msi are working then it is not at all an issue with the installer engine, rather i'd suspect a bad msi package.

The error message could some times be generic or misleading.

You can try installing the driver from the HP download page:

Try the FULL FEATURE driver first:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-85598-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=4066429&sw_lang=

else try the basic driver for the printer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-85599-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=4066429&sw_lang=

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:59 AM
  • Also check if under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msiserver,  a value "Wow64" exists and if it is set to 1

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:13 PM
  • There is no registry entry  called "Wow64" under msiserver.  What is the full specificiation for that entry?

The following Microsoft Fix-It has found that I had corrupted Patch registry and MSI keys, but was not able to fix the MSI key:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall#smchome#enduser

This is my registry for MSI server:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSIServer]
    "Type"=dword:00000120
    "Start"=dword:00000003
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,\
      5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,57,00,4f,00,57,00,36,00,34,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,69,\
      00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2f,00,56,00,00,00
    "DisplayName"="Windows Installer"
    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
    "FailureActions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,14,00,00,\
      00,01,00,00,00,60,ea,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

This is a registry key from a forum that contains the above value and is significantly different from mine:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]
    "Type"=dword:00000010
    "Start"=dword:00000003
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
    74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,\
    00,73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,20,00,2f,00,56,00,00,00
    "DisplayName"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\msimsg.dll,-27"
    "WOW64"=dword:00000001
    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
    "Description"="@%SystemRoot%\\system32\\msimsg.dll,-32"
    "DependOnService"=hex(7):72,00,70,00,63,00,73,00,73,00,00,00,00,00
    "ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_MSISERVER\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

Old 12-04-2008

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:37 AM
  • If WoW64 is not there then it is the default state. It is dynamically created to make certain older MSIs work with the x64 MSI installer. You can try creating it and set it to 1 and try your installer package, if it doesnt work then delete/revert the entry.

Also did you get a chance to test the drivers i found at the HP website?

You can try installing the driver from the HP download page:

Try the FULL FEATURE driver first:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-85598-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=4066429&sw_lang=

else try the basic driver for the printer:

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:54 PM
  • These are the installations that cannot access the Windows installer.

I went back to the CD that ships with the printer, and checked the various core installer scripts it runs, to find the only one that cannot access the Windows installer is the one that installs the printer driver.

Everything else installs just fine.   And the problem appears to be specific to some problem with that script, which I have no way to access.

Which has been my experience with this error to date with Windows 7, which is that the problem is always on my system, something else that is causing that error, not the list of problems that is known to universally make Windows Installer impossible to access.

I have Windows Updates installed for Windows through 8/11/2011 updates for the OS. 

The only problem I have with Windows Update installing is that a set of them keeps installing over and over again, and includes SP1-3 for Project 2003, which is not on my computer system.  I have run the Fix-It for the problem with the registry, which has fixed corrupted keys, but has found an MSI cache corruption that it cannot fix and I cannot spend any more time on right now.

This is where if this is a general problem, that the printer driver would be better to back up to Plug and Play install, and which I finally did with my 932C with Windows 7, instead of downloading an updated set of drivers from HP.  That was a much easier process that updated other features for the printer with Windows and is one I would prefer over this.

Monday, August 22, 2011 3:42 PM
  • There are few things you can try:

Extract the basic driver package using winzip/7zip and point the add printer wizard to the extracted folder.

IF that didnt help download the files I uploaded here, extract and point the printer driver wizard to it.

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=be22aef4-78cd-4137-85da-dee92806b92e  [Email forumt2-at-microsoft-dot-com to get the workspace password]

Also have you already tried setting th Wow64 key to 1 to test install? 

Monday, August 22, 2011 4:25 PM
  • The basic file cannot be extracted with WinZip. 

I have tried the Wow64 key.

Can you provide a complete email address to obtain the password for your workspace?

I also have the installation CD that ships with the product, and if you can identity the directory involved, could use that to point the printer install to.

This turns out to be simple with Windows 7 if I had your information when this started.

Pointing the Add Printer to the CD took care of the entire problem with the driver. 

I still cannot install the HP setup software that later started up after that was completed, but at this point, I have full use of the printer and don't care about the rest of it.

Thanks very much.

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Working through the installation logs for all the Windows Installer errors of any installation I have had this problem with, which were confined to x64 after I restored a very old restore point prior to running any of the Fix-It scripts, none of them failed for an actual Windows Installer error as what created the failed installations per se.

But changing the path to Windows Installer for the Windows Installer Service to system32 instead of SysWOW64, eliminated every single error with any problem I have had like this, with anybody's products.

From Office 2010 to the HP software for this printer, to Intuit problems with its products since I was unable to update and submit electronically from TurboTax last year for tax code changes since TurboTax was originally released with some of its forms in an incomplete state the users were warned was due to legislation in progress.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:34 AM
  • By the way, I had been instructed by a person from the forums that the path to Windows Installer should by sysWOW64.

Which is what mine was set to originally, as a value I had never changed and was set to that value when I got the computer a long time ago.

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:30 AM