none
IE 11 Cannot add favorites RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Dell 5000 Inspiron with Windows 7 Professional and IE 11. I transferred all favorites from my old Dell without any problem. I have also downloaded Firefox as an alternate browser. I can save new favorites in Firefox without any problem but when I try to save any new favorite in IE 11 I get an error message. The message says " unable to create - can't add to favorites windows select lounge". I have tried in Favorites Properties under location tab to "restore default" to no success. I have aslo researched the web but haven't found anything similar to my problem. any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Yunker2 

Sunday, September 6, 2015 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

type

shell:favorites

in the IE Address bar to open your favorites folder in Windows Explorer. Select the root folder (...\favorites) and right click and select "Properties" from the context menu. Uncheck the "read only" checkbox and apply the changes... You will be prompted to apply the same settings to the Favorites' sub folders. Yes.

You did not mention that you were using a thumb drive or disk to transfer your favorites.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Sunday, September 6, 2015 11:59 PM
  • Rob, I transferred everything from my old dell computer to the dell by using a usb 2.0 external hard drive. I just tried your recommendation and nothing changed, I still cannot save a web page to a specific folder in my favorites. I checked the favorites content menu and the "read only" box was checked again. I found this solution about five minutes ago on one of the forums and it seems to work. Thanks for taking the time to recommend a solution. I probably have spent over five hours or more trying to resolve this issue and from my searches it appears that others have had the same problem with different versions of IE. Thanks again.

Yunker

Originally Posted by Kevin
      Metcalf

I had the same issue after
      moving favorites to upgraded computer. I found that if I created a
      new folder that I could save to it, if I tried to save to one of the
      folders I had copied from old favorites I couldn't save to it. I
      created new folders to replace the old folders, moved the old
      favorites into the new folders, and now I can save to any folder
      from IE8 the way it is supposed to work. May be a quicker way, but
      this worked for me.

You likely ran into a permissions issue if you move
      folders from one PC to another. The best way to avoid this is to
      export your favorites to a file using IE. Copy/Move the file to the
      new PC. Import the favorites using IE on the new PC.

Monday, September 7, 2015 12:29 AM