none
Error when publishing project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting the below error when I am trying to publish existing project back to server after making changes The error message was The project could not be saved to the server.  Please retry saving the project.  If the probelm persists, save the project as a MPP file and contact your system administrator. 

I get this error as an admin when other PM tries to publish don't get any error it shows it publish but its not saving any changes made to the project. As the tasks doesn't appear in Resources timesheets as well.

Any help why?

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you able to publish the projects using PWA?

Try to do a Save for Sharing.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/07/14/tips-and-tricks-work-offline-from-project-server.aspx

Thanks,

Phani

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting the below error when I am trying to publish existing project back to server after making changes The error message was The project could not be saved to the server.  Please retry saving the project.  If the probelm persists, save the project as a MPP file and contact your system administrator. 

I get this error as an admin when other PM tries to publish don't get any error it shows it publish but its not saving any changes made to the project. As the tasks doesn't appear in Resources timesheets as well.

Any help why?

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:25 PM
  • Are you sure that when the PM published, it is not working? Not having the assignments in the timesheet could be caused by other reasons than an issue with the publication. Check both draft and published versions in MS Project Pro to be sure.

It is a local file that you are trying to save on Project Server? Or is it a file that you open from your local cache and trying to save and publish back? Have you tried cleaning your local cache? Has the file something particular, such as required fields? Do you have this issue just you on one unique file? 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Hi Prohect Help,

Please check this post to see if you fit in this case, particularly the last reply from Brian:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/3abe5ddf-2a5d-4832-969f-e59f550dec44/project-server-2013-queueupdateproject2-fails-with-lookuptableiteminvalidlookuptable-error?forum=project2010custprog

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:09 PM
  • Hi 

I am able to publish the project the problem is resources cannot see tasks on their timesheet from that project.

One of the PM added more hours  and change dates to the closed task in that project.

Any help?

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:41 PM
  • As mention above I can see that  those tasks are showing up in Resource assignment but not in resources timesheets. 
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Hi Project Help,

So you're finally able to publish the project? In your first post, you were not able. If I understand well, now the publish is ok but the published assignments are not visible in the resources timesheets?

Since you can see the assignment in the resource assignment page, the publication job must be correctly processed. Check the following:

• Are you sure that the resources are their own assignment owner for those assignments in the project plan?
    • Is the assignment value for the "publish" field set to "yes"?
    • Is the booking type for those assignment to "committed" (versus proposed)?
    • Are the users looking at the right period in the timesheet?
    • All filters are removed from the timesheet page?

Note also that if the timesheet was created for a given period before the PM add a new assignment to the resource on this period, it won't show up (as far as I remember) automatically in the timesheet. The user will have to add the assignment clicking on the "add row" button.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:20 PM
  • One more question.. 

When you say "One of the PM added more hours  and change dates to the closed task in that project", what do you mean by closed task?

If the PM closes a task by any mean (publish field, booking type, lock field), it could explain your unexpected behavior.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:24 PM
  • The task was finished by dates ,PM extended  the date and added more hours.
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Ok.

I'll let you come back to us with your feedback once you'll have answers to my questions. Pay a particular attention to my last comment about PM publishing assignments to an already-created timesheet.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:13 PM
  • I checked for All mention steps above in your first post. All is correct as stated above.

I cant even Insert task into the timesheet by adding row its not avaialble to add( Doesnt appear).

Closed Task: The task was finished by dates ,PM extended  the date and added more hours.

Hope I cleared it now.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:28 PM
  • I checked for All mention steps above in your first post. All is correct as stated above.

I cant even Insert task into the timesheet by adding row its not avaialble to add( Doesnt appear).

Closed Task: The task was finished by dates ,PM extended  the date and added more hours.

Hope I cleared it now.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:01 PM
  • That's weird.. If you published correctly, the timesheet should be populated or at least you should be able to insert the task. Moreover you can see the assignments in the resource assignments page..

Are you sure that the publication was correctly processed, no error message in the queue and the ULS logs?

Have the resources the "New Task Assignment" permission?

Can you try on a blank new project? 

The ultimate way will be to delete the task and assignments (or just the assignments) and recreate them.

An intermediate way is to change the assignment owner to another value, publish the project, change back the assignment owner and publish again the project.

Hope this helps,

Friday, June 13, 2014 1:19 PM
  • we have tried and checked  all steps given above but its still not showing up in Timesheets
    Friday, June 13, 2014 3:27 PM