none
How to migrate Exchange 2007 CCR cluster Win2k8 and Hub/Cas with NLB to new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're facing at the question from topic, how to properly migrate our 2x Exch07 with CCR and 2 Exch07 Hub/Cas with Nlb servers to  new hardware without any downtime or any mailflow interruption for users.

I found on MsExchange site blog a guide (http://blogs.technet.com/b/agobbi/archive/2010/08/31/replacing-exchange-server-2007-ccr-nodes-hardware-for-windows-server-2003.aspx ) but this solution is for Windows 2K3 and we have Win2K8, so i'm wondering it will be fit ? or there is any other way to migrate CCR cluster ?

The last questions is how to migrate Hub/Cas roles to new machines ?

We have only about 30 mailboxes with 1 storage group and public folders so it should be nice and easy ? :)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Mac

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:26 AM

Answers

• since it is only 30 users, i do go for Office 365 but in your case there are couple of options

1- cutover - build a new environment CCR Cluster and CAS/Hub Test and when ready move the DNS Host to new server or change the IP (NAT) from firewall to the new servers

2- Build the two mailbox server in the existing environment on Windows Server 2008.
    Setup the cluster
    Build the CAS/HUB
    Test the new Cluster
    migrate one test mailbox from existing environment to the newly installed server
    test the mail flow between the two
    once you make sure everything is working change the IP from Firewall the new servers and if something goes bad roll back
    finally replicated the Public Folder to the new server
    start de-commissioning the server 

Where Technology Meets Talent

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:55 PM

All replies

• since it is only 30 users, i do go for Office 365 but in your case there are couple of options

1- cutover - build a new environment CCR Cluster and CAS/Hub Test and when ready move the DNS Host to new server or change the IP (NAT) from firewall to the new servers

2- Build the two mailbox server in the existing environment on Windows Server 2008.
    Setup the cluster
    Build the CAS/HUB
    Test the new Cluster
    migrate one test mailbox from existing environment to the newly installed server
    test the mail flow between the two
    once you make sure everything is working change the IP from Firewall the new servers and if something goes bad roll back
    finally replicated the Public Folder to the new server
    start de-commissioning the server 

Where Technology Meets Talent

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Thank you for reply!

Unfortunately option with Office 365 is out of range and we have to do it and migrate old exchange to new hardware because it

was already bought and it can't be undone.

I've readed your 2 proposals very careful and after that i decide to wrote quick guide to clarify my doubts, so please correct my plan i'm wrong or i forgot about something.

1)installation OS 2x W2k8 Ent. (role 2x Mbx with Ccr)
    2)installation OS 2x W2k8 Ent. (role 2x Cas/Hub z Nlb)
    3) service pack's, hotfix installation
    4) add servers to domain
    5) create:

a) windows cluster
    b) exchange cluster with storage groups/mailbox databases
    c) Nlb on HT/CAS servers

7) On servers:

a) HUB - recreate send/receive connectors,transport rules,email address policies,accepted/remote domains
    b) CAS - recreate Web.confi file, certs Ssl
    c) MBX - configuration OAB,mailbox limits,replicate public folders

8) Migrate 1 test mailbox from existing environment to the newly installed server

9) Test mail flow between old and new Exchange servers

10) Change the IP on Firewall the new servers and if something goes bad roll back

11) Decomission old Exchange

Mac

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:54 AM