Forgot password to virtual XP admin acct RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I accidentally forgot the password to my virtual XP account. Luckily I am using saved credentials so I can still log in as the administartor, but I can't change my password or create a recovery disk.
    I think I could mount the VHD of the virt. XP and make a new one and copy all files but system ones using Win 7, but I would like to just remove the password.

Thanks and if I need to explain more, just ask.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 10:10 PM

Answers

• I actually solved the problem myself. Let me post my solution for others:

1. Using the Admin (original) account, make another admin user (new) with no password.
    2. Go to the virtual machines folder (C:\Users\Username\Virtual Machines)
    3. Hit Make new virtual machine and select the VHD of the original virtual XP (Located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines)
    4. Start this new virtual machine
    5. Login to XP with your new account that has no password
    6. Go to user accounts (in XP) and find the original account and delete the password
    7. Close the virtual machine and then open the original virtual XP virtual machine
    8. Login with the original account but with NO password
    9. You should be able to login but it will give a message about not being able to enable integration features
    10. Go to user accounts (in XP) and give the original account a password that you can remember to enable integration.
    11. Delete the temporary (new account) if you want
    12. Write down the new password!

Hope this isn't too confusing with all of the new/old stuff

• Marked as answer by felipet Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:43 AM
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:43 AM

All replies

•   If you can log in as administrator, surely you can create a new account with a new password?

Bill
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:24 PM
  • I tried this and it worked but when I went to login under the new account, it said "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." I am guessing this might have something to do with the saved credentials. I'm scared to delete them, though, because they are the only way I can currently login.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:23 AM
  • I actually solved the problem myself. Let me post my solution for others:

1. Using the Admin (original) account, make another admin user (new) with no password.
    2. Go to the virtual machines folder (C:\Users\Username\Virtual Machines)
    3. Hit Make new virtual machine and select the VHD of the original virtual XP (Located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines)
    4. Start this new virtual machine
    5. Login to XP with your new account that has no password
    6. Go to user accounts (in XP) and find the original account and delete the password
    7. Close the virtual machine and then open the original virtual XP virtual machine
    8. Login with the original account but with NO password
    9. You should be able to login but it will give a message about not being able to enable integration features
    10. Go to user accounts (in XP) and give the original account a password that you can remember to enable integration.
    11. Delete the temporary (new account) if you want
    12. Write down the new password!

Hope this isn't too confusing with all of the new/old stuff

• Marked as answer by felipet Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:43 AM
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:43 AM
  • So as it happens, I have the same problem - except suddenly VM-XP has also forgotten my password and it keeps asking me to enter it.  I have only had it running for a couple of weeks and cannot find the note where I saved the PW.

So I cannot log in to create a new account.

TheColorMan
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:19 PM
  • Your best bet in this case is to create a new virtual XP, and then mount both VHD files (In Disk Management, Action-> Attach VHD) and then copy all of the files you need. Your programs will not transfer, but your files will. Unless you can remember your password or want to use a password cracking application, I think this is the best you will be able to do.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:37 PM
  • I forgot this helpful tutorial   http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com/forgot-windows-xp-password.htm    to support me reset forgotten Dell XP admin password at ease! The password recovery tool worked like a charm!

• Edited by Hingeh Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:18 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:17 AM