none
Duration increases for fixed duration tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, All.

I'm working on Project Server 2010, with SP1 and June 2011 CU installed.

I have noticed a strange behavior for Fixed Duration tasks - sometimes the duration increases by a few minutes. For example: a task with 243 day duration changes to 243.01d. On resource Usage view this translates to 243 days + 3 minutes.

Basically, the PMs update the Gantts using the Web App's Gantt edit feature, and update % Work Completed field. We have noticed something that may or may not be related - a synchronization notification is presented to the PM on the Web App (driven from resource availability change or from defining enterprise non-working time).

Fixed duration should be an assurance that the duration would not be changed (assuming the PMs only update % Work Completed field).

Any assumption regarding this strange behavior would be appreciated.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Let me simplify me question: are you aware on a scenario/bug where a fixed-duration task, reported by % Work Complete field, changes its duration by a fraction of a day? For example: a task with 243 day duration changes to 243.01d.

Thanks,

Y.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:48 AM
  • I agree the duration shouldn't change on Fix Duration tasks.  However, it sounds like the age-old rounding error when using computers.  Somewhere in project, a floating point number rounded and push the duration.   Probably the only thing that you can do is report it as a bug to Microsoft.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:28 PM