Changing User Folder Names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks.

I’ll try to be brief.  Just bought a new computer with pre-installed Windows 7 home premium.

I’ve always been a little confused since XP (or was it Vista?) by the three user folders; ‘owner’ ‘default’ and ‘public’ but like most people I’ve got used to it and it doesn’t bother me, I know all my stuff is in ‘my’ users folder.

What really really bothers me is that on my new computer the ‘main’ user folder doesn’t bear my name but that of the computer store where I bought the computer. I’ve tried but can’t change the name.

There is no way that I can live with this computer for the next few years with ‘Joe Bloggs Computers’ being the owner and main man on my computer.  Every time I look for files, download files, transfer files, save files, etc,  its to ‘Joe Bloggs Computers’ that they go. 

I’ve changed the ‘computer name’ to mine via computer properties and also changed the ‘Registered Owner’ name to mine via the registry but the main user folder still bears only the name of ‘Joe Bloggs’.

I’ve played around with folder ownership properties (which I find mega confusing) where ownership and rights belong sometimes to me, sometimes to Joe Bloggs, and sometimes both to me and Joe Bloggs together.

The hard drive has protected partitions which contain the OS but this problem bothers me so much I’d be willing to reinstall the using the recovery discs to solve the problem but hopefully you guys find a solution.

Thanks

Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:27 PM

Answers

• The easiest way to solve your problem is to create another user account (one with administrator privileges) and name it how you want.

Then copy all the data from your documents, etc to the new account. When you have it set up the way you want, delete the old user account.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, October 29, 2010 2:04 AM
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:25 PM

All replies

• The easiest way to solve your problem is to create another user account (one with administrator privileges) and name it how you want.

Then copy all the data from your documents, etc to the new account. When you have it set up the way you want, delete the old user account.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, October 29, 2010 2:04 AM
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I think you should do this -

• Change your user account name from Control panel.
    • At the Control Panel you need to click on user account name.
    • Click on the Change Name option
    • Then  change folder profile and make sure create a new account with administrator
    • This new account is only needed to change the folder profile name.
    • To create a new account click Manage Another Account > Create a new Account
    • Log off your computer and then log in with the newly-created account
    • Now Open Windows Explorer then navigate to C:\users
    • Right click on the folder you want to rename and change it to the same name as your new  user profile with which you log in to your Windows 7
    • At this point you have successfully renamed your Windows 7 user folder but to avoid possible error you need to perform a registry edit. Go to registry editor by typing “Registry” (without quote) in Start Menu. Navigate to the following registry value:
    • Righ click on the profile list and navigate to  “Find” Menu
    • Type in your old user in the search box and then hit ‘Find Next”.  Navigate to the “Profile Image Path” located on the right pane of the registry editor and click twice on it
    • Edit  the registry value to rename it to your new user profile
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:38 PM