SFB Server Edge for Hybrid PSTN voice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I was going through hybrid voice deployment for PSTN calling.

In this TechNet page, It clearly mentioned that we need SFB edge for making PSTN calling through an On-Prem PSTN gateway on a Hybrid configuration.

Is it possible to add an SFB Edge on a Lync 2013 On-Prem Edge? Is it just like adding a Lync 2013 edge?

What would be the licensing requirements for SFB edge and from where we can download the installer (Trial installer is enough?)

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Vishnu Krishnakumar,

If you want to install SFB Edge server in your Lync 2013 environment, you need to use Skype for Business Installer.

Lync Server requires a Lync Server license for every Front End Server role. This means you only need one Server license on your Front end Server. (Edge Server does not require a license.)

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:00 AM

All replies

• Deleted
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:53 PM

Yes, agree with Shankar.Paulraj.

As a supplement, I will share a document which describes how to deploy SFB edge server, please refer to
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933903.aspx

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:55 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the response. :)

My problem is, I don't want a co-existence scenario with SFB. I want only SFB Edge to be deployed with Lync 2013, Just because to make PSTN Calls through an On-Prem PSTN GW using Cloud PBX, SFB Edge is required, as per Technet. 

See the following table

Server role Supported versions

Front End Server

Skype for Business Server 2015

Lync Server 2013

Edge Server

Mediation Server

Lync Server 2013

And the trial license, Is it enough for deploying SFB edge on such a scenario.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:00 AM

Thanks for your response.

Yes, you could deploy SFB Edge with Lync server 2013 without any problem, it is a supported scenario.

Moreover, you could use the trial version for this scenario, but after 180 days, you need to purchase license from Microsoft.

If you have any error message during the deployment, you could post in our forum, we could discuss here.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Yes you can use SFB2015 Just for the edge server and its a supported scenario. 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Great... Thank you so much.

And while deploying, I assume we will be adding a new edge server in the topology and instead of a Lync 2013 installer, I need to use Skype for business installer. Is it correct?

Also, I have noticed in Lync Licensing Guide that "A server license must be assigned to each instance of Lync Front End Server that is being run."

Considering this statement do we need to purchase a license for the new Edge Server?

This Hybrid configuration has to be maintained for a significant duration so I can't go with an 180 days trial. Since Edge server does not require a Server license if trial license is enough that would be great. Please advice.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:24 AM

If you want to install SFB Edge server in your Lync 2013 environment, you need to use Skype for Business Installer.

Lync Server requires a Lync Server license for every Front End Server role. This means you only need one Server license on your Front end Server. (Edge Server does not require a license.)

Regards,

Alice Wang

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:00 AM