none
DPM2012 SP1 - Adding members to protection groups fails due to lack of disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a new DPM2012 SP1 server running on 2008R2 replacing my old DPM2010 server.  I'm therefore having to re-create my protection groups and add in the members for protection - I've got about 20TB worth of data, and I've protected about half with no issues.  However, whenever I try to add anything more at this point, it's giving me an error saying I'm out of disk space; I get through the protection group configuration wizard/storage calculator without any issues, but when I actually modify the protection group, I get failures.  I'm not sure what the issue is, since I've got ~15TB free spread across 2 10TB disks and 1 5TB disk that I've just added.  Any thoughts or input much appreciated!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:44 PM

Answers

• Got it!  Put in a call to Premier Support.  Turns out, not a DPM or even a storage issue, except tangentally.  Basically, the tape library that was connecting through the same NIC as the SAN was repeatedly forcing the SAN to disconnect and reconnect over and over.  The SAN itself didn't return any errors, and the iSCSI service was causing performance problems (since basically, it was chewing up cycles and not really getting anywhere.)

Moral of the story - I'll be putting in a call to the tape library vendor, and in the meantime, dedicating a NIC for that alone so it can't mess anything else up.

Thanks for the help!  Saved me some time on the phone, and learned that diskpart and disk management don't always see the same things. :)

• Marked as answer by BramG Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:28 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you verify the disks are GPT ?

Please open an administrative command prompt, then run diskpart.exe. 
     Once in the diskpart console type: list disk

Copy, paste the results into notepad.

Now open a DPM Powershell windows, and type:
    get-dpmdisk (&hostname)

Again copy, paste the results into notepad.

Post the results from both commands for me to review.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Yeah, they definitely are, but I've pasted the info below in as well.

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          100 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online           50 GB  1024 KB
      Disk 2    Online           10 TB   284 GB   *    *
      Disk 3    Online           10 TB  4708 GB   *    *
      Disk 4    Online         5120 GB  5119 GB   *    *

Name          DiskStatus        NtDiskId TotalCapacit UnallocatedS DiskTypeLa
                                                   yLabel    paceLabel l
    ----          ----------        -------- ------------ ------------ ----------
    EQLOGIC 10... Healthy                  4      5119 GB      5119 GB Dynamic
    EQLOGIC 10... Healthy                  3     10239 GB      4708 GB Dynamic
    EQLOGIC 10... Healthy                  2     10239 GB      5404 GB Dynamic

Thanks!

Edit: just noticed, but in diskpart, disk 0 (c:\) is showing as full, which it definitely isn't, disk 1 is showing as nearly full (again, it isn't) and disk 2 is showing as only having 284 gigs left - the only thing on disk2 is DPM data, which you can see should have about 5404 gigs free, according to DPM.  Not sure what's up.  Even so, the remaining space on disks 3 and 4 would be more than sufficient to pick up what I'm putting in.

• Edited by BramG Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:02 PM added
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I see what you mean. there is definite disconnect between what diskpart and DPM says is free.

Just for grins and giggles, please open windows disk management and manually make a new simple volume on Disk2 and use ALL the free space so DPM will be forced to use disks 3 and 4 and see what result you get when you try to add protection.

Please supply the complete error message if you still have the same problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Thanks!  I'll give that a try in just a sec - in the meantime (having just got back into the office), I rescanned disks in disk manager, which now shows disk3 as having the proper amount of free space.  (Disks 0 and 1 are still wonky, but less concerned with those for the moment.)  However, when I try to add a member, now I get a new error:

Allocate replica for G:\ failed:

Error 360: The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error

Error details: The system cannot find the file specified

Recommended action: Retry the operation.

I'll try forcing it to use the other disks and see what happens, but I did want to note that error as well.

Edit: creating a partition on disk3 doesn't have any effect, same error.
    • Edited by BramG Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:12 PM added
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Another wrinkle:

I tried rebooting, and immediately lost connection to my SAN.  It looks like a problem with the virtual disk service - the service itself appeared to be running, but I could no longer see any of those disks in disk manager, which itself eventually stopped working with a "cannot connect to virtual disk service" error.  I checked the iSCSI initiator on the server (and looked at the connections on the SAN) - they were all fine.  DISKPART still sees the disks, but the disk management snap-in (and DPM) can't see those disks anymore.  The error in the logs was event ID1, code C000000E@020A0007.

I rebooted, and then was playing with the VD service, and after a few restarts the service appears to be working if not normally, at least somewhat better.  I can connect to the SAN now, and am basically back to where I was this morning.  I do see some other VDS and iSCSI related errors in the logs, however.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

FYI -  ErrorCode: 0xC000000E (-1073741810): The system cannot find the file specified.

Still sounds like some underlying storage issue, but just for grins check the following items:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Setup
      DatabasePath is correct.

Look in the %windir%\inf\setup.api.dev file and see if there are any errors related to volumes.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Got it!  Put in a call to Premier Support.  Turns out, not a DPM or even a storage issue, except tangentally.  Basically, the tape library that was connecting through the same NIC as the SAN was repeatedly forcing the SAN to disconnect and reconnect over and over.  The SAN itself didn't return any errors, and the iSCSI service was causing performance problems (since basically, it was chewing up cycles and not really getting anywhere.)

Moral of the story - I'll be putting in a call to the tape library vendor, and in the meantime, dedicating a NIC for that alone so it can't mess anything else up.

Thanks for the help!  Saved me some time on the phone, and learned that diskpart and disk management don't always see the same things. :)

• Marked as answer by BramG Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:28 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:28 PM