none
How does Exchange 2010 access a DC from another domain (in the same forest) in another site? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a forest with 3 child domains. Exchange servers are a member of domain A, 90% of users are in domain B and 10% are in domain C. Due to a recent AD site change Exchange now sits in a site with only DCs from domain B. MSExchange ADAccess event logs show DC's in site and out of site, but neither show DCs from domain C, however users in domain aren't having any issues accessing Exchange from their Outlook 2010 clients.

We intend to install 2 DC's from domain C into the Exchange server AD site, but before we do we want to understand how Exchange is querying DCs in domain C?

Our setup:

• Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4, Windows 2008 R2
    • 4 servers in a DAG and a CAS array
    • AD 2008
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:06 AM

Answers

• On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:06:54 +0000, bluefg wrote:

>
    >
    >We have a forest with 3 child domains. Exchange servers are a member of domain A, 90% of users are in domain B and 10% are in domain C. Due to a recent AD site change Exchange now sits in a site with only DCs from domain B. MSExchange ADAccess event logs show DC's in site and out of site, but neither show DCs from domain C, however users in domain aren't having any issues accessing Exchange from their Outlook 2010 clients.
    >
    >We intend to install 2 DC's from domain C into the Exchange server AD site, but before we do we want to understand how Exchange is querying DCs in domain C?
    >
    >Our setup: Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4, Windows 2008 R24 servers in a DAG and a CAS arrayAD 2008

I'd check to see if the information in DNS is correct. The _sites zone
    should have each site and the _gc/_ldap/_kerberos services registered
    for each DC/GC. The _msdcs should have the DCs and GCs listed by site.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by bluefg Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:31 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:06:54 +0000, bluefg wrote:

>
    >
    >We have a forest with 3 child domains. Exchange servers are a member of domain A, 90% of users are in domain B and 10% are in domain C. Due to a recent AD site change Exchange now sits in a site with only DCs from domain B. MSExchange ADAccess event logs show DC's in site and out of site, but neither show DCs from domain C, however users in domain aren't having any issues accessing Exchange from their Outlook 2010 clients.
    >
    >We intend to install 2 DC's from domain C into the Exchange server AD site, but before we do we want to understand how Exchange is querying DCs in domain C?
    >
    >Our setup: Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4, Windows 2008 R24 servers in a DAG and a CAS arrayAD 2008

I'd check to see if the information in DNS is correct. The _sites zone
    should have each site and the _gc/_ldap/_kerberos services registered
    for each DC/GC. The _msdcs should have the DCs and GCs listed by site.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Marked as answer by bluefg Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Thanks Rich. I'll need to speak to our Networks team when back in the office tomorrow to access our DNS system. Will get back to you then or mark your answer as correct.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:06 PM
  • hi,

Any update?

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by Castinlu Friday, October 12, 2012 9:13 AM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 9:13 AM