none
Project Server 2013 - Creating projects with duplicate names RRS feed

• Question

• what is the default functionality of Project Server 2013 when a user creates a project with the name that already exists? 

We just installed October 2015 CU and it seems that Project Server 2013 now doesn't give any warning when creating a project with the name that already exists. it simple creates a project with the same name and adds "_0" to it.  the users are not happy with it and ask us if this can be disabled. 

PS. THIS ONLY OCCURS WHEN WE CREATE PROJECTS FROM SHAREPOINT LIST

tatiana

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:27 PM

Answers

• well, here is the answer : We cannot create 2 Projects from the same SharePoint List ITEM, but we can create Projects using the same name, if this is a different ITEM on the SharePoint list. This is a by design behavior.

However, the duplicate project with same name gets suffixed with a _<no>.

tatiana

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As per my knowledge previous versions used to give warnings on identical names for projects. In the background system always uses a GUID for identification of any project or resource in the system. So even if you rename the project associated tasks and activities remained same. 

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 4:51 AM
  • so does that mean in current version the system no longer gives warnings?

tatiana

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Well I am not sure for what reason it is occurring with your, even now the system does gives warning.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Tatiana:

I haven't tried this scenario, but I'll ask about it. The problem is that when you use the Project Proposal workflow, everything happens behind the scene and you don't get system prompts. I suspect that Redmond will tell me that appending the _0 is the about the best that they can do inside a workflow.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, December 18, 2015 3:47 PM
  • thank you Gary. I also opened a support ticket with Microsoft and they were able to reproduce the issue. i will update as soon as i get an answer.

We were getting warnings before even with workflows attached to our SharePoint lists. Something must have changed. 

tatiana

Friday, December 18, 2015 4:05 PM
  • well, here is the answer : We cannot create 2 Projects from the same SharePoint List ITEM, but we can create Projects using the same name, if this is a different ITEM on the SharePoint list. This is a by design behavior.

However, the duplicate project with same name gets suffixed with a _<no>.

tatiana

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:13 PM