none
Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service doesn't respond, cannot stop/restart

Question

• Hello, I've been running a functioning virtualization set on a small Server 2016 install, running a half dozen VMs. Everything was working fine for months, but I let Windows update last night and when it rebooted suddenly none of the VMs would startup. When I attempted to check them with the management tool it tells me it's connecting to the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service, and it never stops saying that except to sometimes say it cannot be reached. This is all locally on the server, not remotely. This has not happened in the past. When I attempt to stop or restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service it takes a long time and then ends with Error 1503 saying that it cannot stop the service as it took too long to respond.

I tried rolling back the update, and that changed nothing unfortunately. This is pretty disastrous for me, hopefully someone can help me out!

Edit: As far as I can tell none of the VMs boot, none appear to be on the network switch, and I cannot access them through any means.

The Get-VM command hands powershell, and whether the service is stopped or not (which is does eventually stop after 10+ minutes) the network switch information in the Hyper-V configuration area for switches never becomes available.

• Edited by Grimm Spector Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:08 PM New information added
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

Any error regarding Hyper-V in the event viewer, we could refer to this blog and check the logs. As a general guidance you should start with the Hyper-V-VMMS and Hyper-V-Worker event channels when analyzing a failure.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2018/01/23/looking-at-the-hyper-v-event-log-january-2018-edition/

Furthermore, ensure that your current logon system account be a member of Hyper-V Administrators group.

For testing purpose, we’d try to turn off windows firewall or third party security an-virus software on this server.

Also ensure that a virtual switch has been created and is functional and hardware virtualization support is turned on in the BIOS settings.

Highly appreciate your effort and time, I look forward to hearing your update. If any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? 

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

Any error regarding Hyper-V in the event viewer, we could refer to this blog and check the logs. As a general guidance you should start with the Hyper-V-VMMS and Hyper-V-Worker event channels when analyzing a failure.

Furthermore, ensure that your current logon system account be a member of Hyper-V Administrators group.

For testing purpose, we’d try to turn off windows firewall or third party security an-virus software on this server.

Also ensure that a virtual switch has been created and is functional and hardware virtualization support is turned on in the BIOS settings.

Highly appreciate your effort and time, I look forward to hearing your update. If any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Virtual switches were fine, as mentioned the system was running for awhile, a few months without any changes or issues, then during the last update this occurred. Rollback did not correct. Cannot examine virtual switch settings as they do not load in the manager, they are listed but details do not populate and it asks me to wait. Firewall changes have made no difference, and the logon account used for diagnosis was a root administrator account with all applicable privileges. Hardware BIOS settings were previously all set and still currently have not changed. Hyper-V event log doesn't show anything when the system reboots except for the attempt by windows to terminate the process if I try to restart the service.

Workers never start, though they're set to start automatically and have always worked after reboot without issue.

Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Just to confirm that, now you can use Hyper-V Manager to connect to the local Hyper-V host and can see all the VMs and VSwitches you set, but can't connect to VMs and change any VSwitch's setting. Can we right click on a VM and do some operation on the Manager? 

I need to do some research for this issue, look forward to hearing your update. If any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael   

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Sunday, November 25, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:23 PM