none
Internet and Intranet DNS Conflict RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network at home with a primary domain controller running DNS on MS 2008 R2 server. The domain name is one that I own. Late last year I decided to host a website with an ISP. I made the mistake of using the same domain name as my home network is using, let’s call it Mydomain.com. This was not a problem until I set up a test environment with IIS 8.5 on a MS 2012 R2 server. To get around the issue of the same domain name for Internet and Intranet I created a host name in IIS with Website01.com. I added this to the local DNS service as a new zone. It appears that my Linksys router (EA3500) ignores my internal DNS server even though I have it entered as a static IP on the router and fails to find the internal web site. To fix this issue I turned off DHCP on the router and set up a DHCP service on the PDC. This caused the web site on the internet not to be found. I did not add a record for WWW as I thought once it wasn’t found it would then go outside to search, it does not. Is there a way to get the local DNS to point outside when it cannot find www.Mydomain.com?

Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:47 PM

Answers

• You probably got an A record with your ISP.

If you have access to your administration console of your website, you can find it on your DNS records. If not you can also ask your ISP what is your A record IP?

FrenchITGuy.com

• Marked as answer by Tewhano Friday, June 24, 2016 8:44 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You have the solution to your problem.

Create a record for WWW.

FrenchITGuy.com

Thursday, June 23, 2016 3:59 PM
  • I did not add a record for WWW as I thought once it wasn’t found it would then go outside to search, it does not.

No it does not as your internal DNS server is authorative for the DNS zone. This means it's broadcasting as the authority for that zone.

Your issue is a common "mistake" when deciding domain names, it's the reason by default windows domains use the .local extention, so it cannot get confused with external / internet domains.

You just need to create the appropriate record on your internal DNS server.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Thank you for the replies fellas.

I am assuming you mean, as FrenchITGuy replied, that I should create a record for WWW? Not sure how I would do that when the IP address for www.mydomain.com is being hosted by the ISP and the address is not static.

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:30 PM
  • You probably got an A record with your ISP.

If you have access to your administration console of your website, you can find it on your DNS records. If not you can also ask your ISP what is your A record IP?

FrenchITGuy.com

• Marked as answer by Tewhano Friday, June 24, 2016 8:44 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Just add a www record on your internal server with the external IP adress of the web site.
    Friday, June 24, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Okay thank you.
    Friday, June 24, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Thank you
    Friday, June 24, 2016 8:45 PM