cannot access windows instrumentation software RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to access my computer's System Information it says:

Cannot Collect Information
    Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows
    Management files may be moved or missing.

am running windows 7 and all solution have seen here are for win xp, though i have tried them but problem persist

kindly assist

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• I got this off another post, so credit to Andy Song for these instructions: (I have had WMI problems before, so I think this will help)

1) Start the computer and press F8 on boot up and select Safe Mode.

2) In the start menu type "cmd" (without quotes) and on the top search result, right click the program icon and choose Run as administrator

3) Type "net stop winmgmt" (without quotes) and press Enter to make certain the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.

4) Open a Windows Explorer and locate the path to C:\ windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like RepositoryOLD (right click and choose 'Rename Folder').

5) Reboot and restart as normal.

6) In the start menu type "cmd" (without quotes) and on the top search result, right click the icon and choose Run as administrator

7) Type "net stop winmgmt" (without quotes) and press enter to stop the WMI service.

8) Type "winmgmt /resetRepository" (without quotes) and restart the computer.

• Edited by Bigteddy Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:58 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:48 PM
  • These instructions are specific to Vista/Win7, because you said you were running 7. (Although this is an XP forum).

If it were XP, I would recommend using WMI Diag, available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=d7ba3cd6-18d1-4d05-b11e-4c64192ae97d&displaylang=en

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:53 PM