Windows 7 SP1 RC won't unsinstall RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the SP1 RC the system became very unstable. Since I knew that was the only change to the system I went to Programs and Features>View Installed Updates>Windows Service Pack 1>Uninstall. It went through the motions and seemed to have completed. I rebooted just to be sure and even though the Service Pack is no longer listed in the Installed Updates everything else still says it is installed. Any ideas as to how to uninstall an update Windows 7 doesn't list any longer even though everything else - such as System Info - says it is still installed? I definitely want nothing to do with this service pack until the bugs are removed. Unfortunately, it appears that I am now permanently stuck with it as there is no way to remove it. And I wondered why I see so many Windows users moving to Macs and Linux. Now I understand.
    Redmond... We have a problem.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Andre,

At this point there is no need to try and figure out what's wrong because the system has become totally unusable. As it is, I am posting this from my laptop as the main system won't even boot up. I know there were no Trojans, viruses, worms, rootkits, etc. as the system is checked multiple ways every morning before anything is done on it. The problem is completely Microsoft related and I have a feeling they are aware of that since they will pay a max amount of $5.00 USD for any problems that occur due to their software. Microsoft is a lot like "W" in that they claim there is nothing wrong with there software even during beta testing. When a bug is submitted the M$ reply is always the same - Not reproducable. Closed.

Thanks for trying to solve the mystery of the uninstallable SP.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hi KoloheWiz, check this documentation:

How to uninstall Windows 7 SP1 RC http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/uninstall-sp1-beta

Microsoft Active Professional 2010
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:46 AM
  • upload all files from the folder C:\Windows\Logs\CBS to your SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Hi Francisco,

Thanks for the assistance. Since the only option I hadn't tried was the command prompt, I went that route. Unfortunately, it stated that the update wasn't installed on the machine. Funny how System Information still says it is (Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1, v.721 Build 7601); the desktop still says it is (Windows 7 Evaluation copy. Build 7601). I tried System Restore but there are no restore points even though I have never done anything with the System Restore settings. As if that weren't bad enough, SP1 RC will have to be uninstalled before a PC is upgraded to the RTM build according to Microsoft which means that my only option is a complete reinstall of the OS since there is no way to repair or restore it.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Andre exactly what is that supposed to do to help? If you think for second that I am giving the world access to any information uploaded from system logs/files you are out of your mind. I have far too many enemies in cyberspace to even think of doing such a stupid thing. System logs supply information that can be used to cripple systems - trust me, I know this for a fact - but I guess you didn't think about that.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:34 PM
  • The logs says what was wrong with the uninstallation. If you don't want help, don't ask here.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 7:21 PM
  • FYI: The log can't be uploaded due to an Access Denied error and before you ask, I am logged in as an Administrator.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:25 PM
  • copy all files from the CBS folder first to your Desktop and upload them from there. And no with UAC you run with standard user rights (filtered token).

Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:37 PM
  • After temporarily changing the security settings (it couldn't be copied to the desktop due the access denied error) for the one file that is relevant - CBS.log - all of the files are now uploaded to my skydrive in the collected logs folder. After reading the CBS.log file, it appears that Microsoft has comitted yet another snafu. I will have to completely reinstall the OS from scratch to remedy the situation as it is the only option I have available at this point since SP1 RC isn't installed even though the system thinks it is as can be seen in the screenshot in the skyline collected logs folder. I can't afford to have my system rendered useless in 30 days because of the expiration limit added with SP1 RC. I've been programming since the early 80's and know what I am doing.
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:11 PM
  • You must post the link to your SkyDrive here so that I can access the files.

Monday, November 1, 2010 3:04 PM
  • http://cid-e43e6dcd6c4fd4ad.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Collected%20log%20files I appreciate the help but I know what needs to be done. I also know that Microsoft totally screwed up. Again. I know the only solution is to reformat the hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows 7. Again. Why reformat you ask? Because the latest and unfortunately only backup has SP1 RC installed which I want nothing to do with. Luckily I have a MacBook and Vista laptop I can use to do my work. Otherwise, ...
    Monday, November 1, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Andre,

At this point there is no need to try and figure out what's wrong because the system has become totally unusable. As it is, I am posting this from my laptop as the main system won't even boot up. I know there were no Trojans, viruses, worms, rootkits, etc. as the system is checked multiple ways every morning before anything is done on it. The problem is completely Microsoft related and I have a feeling they are aware of that since they will pay a max amount of $5.00 USD for any problems that occur due to their software. Microsoft is a lot like "W" in that they claim there is nothing wrong with there software even during beta testing. When a bug is submitted the M$ reply is always the same - Not reproducable. Closed.

Thanks for trying to solve the mystery of the uninstallable SP.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:40 AM
  • ok

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:21 PM
  • I never install a service pack beta on anything other than a test computer, and I always have a restoration image. RC is still in the testing phaze and should never be installed on a production computer.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Carl,

Oh really? Like I didn't know that. Unfortunately my restoration image got corrupted so it is unusable. Funny how a fire can do that to storage media. So please don't go chiming in with your two cents and treat me like some stupid kid, thank you. And for God's sake, learn how to spell - it's "phase" NOT "phaze".

FYI: There is no place that the general public is warned of this on the download page. Having been a M$ beta tester since the days of Win 3.1, I know that until it says RTM there is a chance it may not work as it should. However, RC implies that the bugs are basically all removed and the software is 99.99% ready for RTM.

FYI: In my case the Win 7 SP1 RC was on a test system which is also served as a backup production system. Bottom line: M$ f***ed up yet again. Then there's the fact that Windows Live 2011 adds a virtual presence on the system that you know nothing about unless you check the Credential Manager in Control Panel and then you discover that the credential has a password you don't know and can't see or change. How many consumers do you know that even know the Credential Manager even exists let alone what it is for? Add to that the fact that if you unwittingly install the trial of Office 2010, you can't go back to Office 2007 without basically starting from scratch in regards to Outlook.

Ever since Ballmer took over, Microsoft has been in a steady downward spiral regarding quality and reliability. All he - and apparently the rest of the execs - care about is $$$. "Screw the consumer end user" should be their motto if it isn't secretly that already.

• Proposed as answer by Mihailh Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:27 PM
  • You had the answer you wanted before you ever asked the question.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 11:14 PM
  • That's unfortunately true. To be exact: You never asked a question, since you "appreciate the help but (you) know what needs to be done" anyway. Well, if you say it...
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Hi KoloheWiz,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with uninstalling SP1. I was just wondering if at some point after installing the RC, did you run the Disk Cleanup tool?

Thanks,

Mark [MSFT]

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hi Mark,

No I didn't run Disk Cleanup after installing the RC. The system became completely unstable right after the reboot by the RC installation. I went to Programs and Features in the Control Panel and uninstalled the RC. At least I thought it had been uninstalled. The system never rebooted after the uninstall which I thought was odd. I rebooted the system myself and everything in the system still showed the RC as being installed except in Programs and Features where it was no longer listed. As far as I know the log files are still located on Skyline at the link above. Hopefully someone there at MSFT can figure out what happened before the RTM release. MSFT doesn't need a snafu like McAfee experienced with one of their recent updates.

Friday, November 5, 2010 7:08 PM
  • That's unfortunately true. To be exact: You never asked a question, since you "appreciate the help but (you) know what needs to be done" anyway. Well, if you say it...
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")

When I stated that "I know what needs to be done" I was referring to the only solution I had left was a clean install of the OS. However, in an effort to help anyone else not experience what I went through I posted here since there is nowhere else online to make the general non-tech savvy public or MSFT aware of the problem or any possible resolution. If you really want a question, here's one no one has been able to answer here or in newsgroups: Why doesn't IE8 ever close completely without starting Task Manager and manually ending the process(es) after the browser window has been closed?
    Friday, November 5, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi KoloheWiz,

Thank you for your response. Also, thanks for reporting the original issue... we value customer feedback! Your logs seem to indicate that one of the system files had gone missing, which caused the uninstall to fail. However I'm not able to determine the cause of the missing file. I'd suggest running a disk integrity check using chkdsk.

Once again I'm sorry for the troubles you experienced. Please let us know should you hit this problem in the future.

Thanks,

Mark [MSFT]

Friday, November 5, 2010 7:18 PM
  • You had the answer you wanted before you ever asked the question.

That was NOT the answer I wanted but the only solution left since the OS was set to expire on 11/30/10. Once again you chime in with useless drivel. You have yet to offer any useful information. I also never asked a question. I posted a serious issue with the SP1 RC so that it could (hopefully) be resolved BEFORE the RTM version was released. And before you give me any more of your drivel, answer me this: Do you have the skills of an accomplished Black Hat? If not then you are wasting my time. Think about it.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 7:24 PM