How can I see/edit additional SP Task columns in MS Access? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SP Task list with some additional out-of-the-box columns such as "related company", which shows up in Outlook as company. I would like to edit this column in MS Access but when I connect SP to MS Access only the basic columns show up but not the "related company" column. How can I change this?
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:08 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can see all columns by the following steps:

Go to your list click Actions>Open with Access

In Access, click SharePoint list under external data, you need to select the site and the list which you want.

Open navigation pane and right click on your list and open it which under Unassigned Objects

Now you can see the "related company" if it is not hidden.

Rock Wang

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by hhh2009 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:54 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"Related company" should be hidden by default. You can make it visible with the follow steps:

1.On the Format menu, click Unhide Columns.

2.In the Unhide Columns dialog box, select the names of the columns that you want to show.

Then "related company" will show up.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:15 AM
  • Thanks Wayne, but unfortunately 'related company' does not show up in the dialog box. The access database just shows ID, Title, Priority, Status, %complete, Description, Assigned To, start date, due date and attachments, but no other standard columns (such as mileage or 'related company' nor any individual columns created in SP.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Hi,

You can see all columns by the following steps:

Go to your list click Actions>Open with Access

In Access, click SharePoint list under external data, you need to select the site and the list which you want.

Open navigation pane and right click on your list and open it which under Unassigned Objects

Now you can see the "related company" if it is not hidden.

Rock Wang

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by hhh2009 Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:54 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Thanks a lot Rock Wang. Now I can see the all columns. 
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:57 AM