Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 1.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

is there any place where can I found this tool? Microsoft has removed it from software center and there is only version 3.0 left.

Regards Jussuf

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Monday, November 16, 2015 3:41 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Why do you need 1.0 version instead of 3.0? As far as I know version 1.0 is not available to download now.

My LinkedIn profile

Monday, November 16, 2015 10:26 AM
  • Hello,

Why do you need 1.0 version instead of 3.0? As far as I know version 1.0 is not available to download now.

My LinkedIn profile

Hello,

because esxi 4.0 is not supported as a host and MS Server 2003 is not supported as a guest operating system in version 3.0.

Monday, November 16, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Yes, they aren't supported in this version of MVMC. Perhaps Disk2VHD (https://technet.microsoft.com/pl-pl/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) will be useful for you. However it only supports converting Hard Drives to vhdx format for Windows machines.

My LinkedIn profile

Monday, November 16, 2015 12:57 PM
  • "and MS Server 2003 is not supported as a guest operating system in version 3.0."

Windows Server 2003 is not supported in any version of anything from Microsoft.  The operating system went out of support, so any tool that used to support it no longer does because the operating system itself is unsupported.

As Robert says, you could try Disk2VHD, but if you read through this forum you will find quite a few posts about issues converting 2003.  The recommendation is to build it cleanly from scratch.  Converting always leaves artifacts that may or may not cause problems down the road.  When it comes time to troubleshoot any issue, this adds complexity because you need to include conversion as a possible reason for the problem.  Best to build from scratch and remove that as a possibility.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, November 16, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Yes, they aren't supported in this version of MVMC. Perhaps Disk2VHD (https://technet.microsoft.com/pl-pl/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) will be useful for you. However it only supports converting Hard Drives to vhdx format for Windows machines.

My LinkedIn profile

Disk2VHD did the trick. There is an option to convert to VHD as well. Thanks!
    Monday, November 23, 2015 1:06 PM