Search failed with configuration issues - External clients RRS feed

• Question

• Internally search works fine but externally it is failing after working before. I have search set for WebSearchOnly in the csclientpolicy. I tried deleting the sip profile on the external user.

The exact error when searching is "Search failed because of configuration issues with the address book server."

Looking at the tracing folder I am not finding anything pertaining to address book that might give me a clue.

Again only external users. Log in is fine.

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:14 PM

All replies

• just wanted to add the lyncdiscover A record still exists in my external DNS
    Friday, September 30, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Externally this will be pulled through the external web services FQDN.  Do you have that published via a reverse proxy?  Can you access the URL remotely (you might not get a useful response, or it may give a 403, but does it respond with a valid cert)?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Yes I have a external web service fqdn and cert. We have a f5 unfortunately I am not involved with this so I have to trust that this person set it up correctly.

It doesn't appear to be answering I just get IE cannot display the page. Would the fqdn just be URL https://sfbexternal.domain.com? or would it be the whole fqdn I get from the config info on the client https://sfbexternal.domain.com:443/abs/handler. Neither work so I guess it doesn't matter.

The cert I am using has several SAN names including lyncdiscover and sfbexternal for the f5. It is installed on both the edge box and f5. It was working so I am guessing something must have changed for the f5.

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Either, you should get a response even if it's an IIS error and you should see the correct cert.  I'd suggest asking the F5 guy to take a peek.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:44 PM
  • yes I will do that thank you. If I switched from Websearchonly on my address book availability in the csclientpolicy could I at least get search working?
    Friday, September 30, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Maybe if they spend an hour on the inside and download it, but the web services is where it would be pull updates from when they're out and about.

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Thanks good point, these users are rarely in the office so it wouldn't help.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 4:55 PM