none
How to add a disk in Data Protection Manager 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to add a storage pool in DPM 2012. I can find out where to add the disk and I can create the storage pool. However, when I add a disk that I've already intialized in Windows, it tells me that there is 0MB free space. I've tried removing the windows formatting, leaving it a raw disk. When I add that disk to DPM, it shows up that the full volume is available. The documentation says that DPM supports GPT and MEID for the disks, which leaves me to believe that it can (and should) use a windows initialized disk.

Anyone have any idea why it is doing this? Or how to make it work correctly?

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It sounds like when you initialized the disk that you also made a new volume covering the full size of the disk.  DPM requires a disk with free space so it can make it's own volumes.   In the future, just initialize the disk and make sure it's all free space before adding it to the storage pool.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like when you initialized the disk that you also made a new volume covering the full size of the disk.  DPM requires a disk with free space so it can make it's own volumes.   In the future, just initialize the disk and make sure it's all free space before adding it to the storage pool.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Thanks this was the problem for me. I removed the disk from DPM, deleted the volume and re-added the disk to DPM, all is good

Cheers

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:14 AM