ADMP - Site Links not monitored RRS feed

• Question

• SCOM 2007 R2 CU5

When looking at the AD Sites topology view, all of the site links are showing as not monitored. (empty circle for health state).

Is this by design?  I cannot find any specific discovery that is not enabled.

Thanks - BH

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:12 PM

Answers

• OK, after having a chance to eat some lunch and look at something besides a SCOM console for a while, I came back and did a little more digging and now the behavior seems to make sense.

The AD Site Link is discovered by the AD Topology Discovery with the following attributes: Name, Cost Replication Interval and Transport.  This information is displayed in the diagram views in the properties of the Site Link object.

It shows up as Not Monitored because (duh) there are no monitors targeted at the AD Site Link object, so there is no health state to roll up into the aggregate monitors.

Short story: Behavior is by design

BH

• Marked as answer by Bruce Hethcote Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:55 PM

All replies

• Yes.  This is by design.  The topo view is just a mapping of the computers in a domain. 
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

The Site Link objects actually show as not monitored in any possible view I can find them.  I actually stumbled on to it as I was creating a Visio diagram of the AD sites on a map and added the Site Links in and discovered that they were not monitored.  So, to refine my question, is it by design that the Site Link objects are not monitored? 

Thanks - BH

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:58 PM
  • OK, after having a chance to eat some lunch and look at something besides a SCOM console for a while, I came back and did a little more digging and now the behavior seems to make sense.

The AD Site Link is discovered by the AD Topology Discovery with the following attributes: Name, Cost Replication Interval and Transport.  This information is displayed in the diagram views in the properties of the Site Link object.

It shows up as Not Monitored because (duh) there are no monitors targeted at the AD Site Link object, so there is no health state to roll up into the aggregate monitors.

Short story: Behavior is by design

BH

• Marked as answer by Bruce Hethcote Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:55 PM