locked
Notification on status keeps getting sent out to end user RRS feed

  • Question

  • ok so I know I must be doing something incorrect and I can kind of see in my criteria why it might resend the notification.. but what I don't understand is why it is doing it over and over, instead of just once on update...

    I've modified the Service Request workflow so that on update it should send a notification to the affected user that their ticket has a updated status.  I don't care about all the different statuses, just a few..

    It did work, when it went from In progress to completed it sent out an email to the affected user about the status change.  However it also then sent him the same email 2-3 times a day every day until I closed it.

    When I look through history of the ticket, I only see one update from the time I changed it from in progress to completed. After that 5 days later I changed it to closed.

    So why during those 5 days if there were no updates was it invoking the update workflow and sending out emails when the status was the same as last time?

    So yes I understand that the logic of the criteria says changed from x, y, z to complete send email... but it wasn't changing from anything to completed after the first time, it was already completed know what I mean?  To me if there's no updates in the history of the ticket, then it shouldn't invoke the update workflow?  Am I wrong?

    Just for information:

    Changed from:

    SR status does not equal New

    SR status does not equal Submitted

    SR status does not equal In progress

    Changed to:

    SR status equals On hold

    SR status equals Completed

    SR status equals Closed

    SR status equals Closed

    SR status equals Failed

    If there's a better way to set this up, would be great to hear.

    Thanks,

    Terry

    Friday, February 15, 2013 5:46 PM

All replies

  • Have a look at the SendMail documentation of the Exchange Connector as that uses a similar theory to trigger notification based on the notes field being updated. The guide is included as part of the below download.

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=29423

    Also - you should note the SCSM doesn't work with criteria which are multiples of "Does Not Equal" unless you make changes within the XML. This could be part of your problem looking at the criteria you have put above.

    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:51 AM
  • You may want to change the does not equal to an equal.  That way whenever a New/Submitted/in progress SR changes to On Hold/Completed/Closed/Failed they receive the notification.  My only guess on why multiple notifications I would guess is some weird logic loop.  I had one before where I had From Support Group = GroupA changed to Support Group = GroupA the end user would get several messages whenever a new note or anything was added. 
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:45 PM