critical process died RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install the 64-bit version of the Windows tech Preview and after setup has completed and it 's booting for the first time I get a BSOD with the error msg "critical process died" and then the PC restarts.  After the restart the same BSOD error message...it's an endless loop.

Anyone else get this BSOD during the initial setup?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:28 AM

Answers

• MakeMeLaugh

I tried running the Win10 chkdsk and it found no issues with the hard drive.

But then I tried MiniTool Partition surface test and it found 5 defective sectors.  A check of the SMART parameters showed...

ID 5 - Current Pending Sector Count current value is 200...caution state for the health of the drive.

So it looks like the drive maybe the issue.  It's interesting that the 32-bit setup worked fine with this drive but the 64-bit would BSOD.

• Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:16 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 2:40 PM

All replies

• it would be helpful if you put your PC specs on when you're installing windows tech preview.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:12 AM
  • it is a custom built PC with the following specs...

MB: Gigabyte  H67M-D2-B3 (BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F7 03/27/2012)
    CPU: Intel i3-2100 @ 3.10GHz
    Memory: 4.0GB
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 210 
    HD: WD Caviar Blue 250GB SATA (Model: WD2500AAKS)
    DVD: LG GH22NS70 SATA
    Other: Silicon Image SiI 3132 SATALink Controller

...let me know if you need any other info.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:20 AM
  • I just tried installing the 32-bit version of the Tech Preview and it works! So it's just the 64-bit version that is Blue Screening.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:03 AM
  • i think your 64-bit might be corrupted. try to redownload it.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:11 AM
  • TD064

IF you can boot in safe mode we need the crash logs

We do need the actual log file (called a DMP file) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    We prefer at least 2 DMP files to spot trends and confirm the cause.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

If you are using Blue screen view, who crashed, or a similar application, don't.  They are wrong at least as often as they are correct

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:42 AM
  • I just checked the SHA-1 hash of the 64-bit download and it matched what is listed on the webpage below...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:43 AM
  • Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

I had another 250GB WD hard drive and tried installing the 64-bit version this morning and this time the install/setup completed successfully.  So the only thing that change was using a another hard drive (same manuf/model).

Do you want me to try reinstalling the 64-bit version on the 1st hard drive (which has the 32-bit version on it) when I was experiencing the BSOD?

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:36 PM
  • try to disk check your HDD, there might be errors in your HDD.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:55 AM
  • MakeMeLaugh

I tried running the Win10 chkdsk and it found no issues with the hard drive.

But then I tried MiniTool Partition surface test and it found 5 defective sectors.  A check of the SMART parameters showed...

ID 5 - Current Pending Sector Count current value is 200...caution state for the health of the drive.

So it looks like the drive maybe the issue.  It's interesting that the 32-bit setup worked fine with this drive but the 64-bit would BSOD.

• Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Thursday, November 6, 2014 8:16 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 2:40 PM