Adding an Icon to devices and Printers RRS feed

• Question

• Guys we have a 3rd party product that manages printing and auditing, to install a printer you use an icon on the desktop that links to a webserver and thus locate your nearest printer, client is huge so its a great help.

I want to pop this find printer icon ive made into devices and printers to stop users trying to map the old way.

how would you do this ?

thanks

Monday, January 9, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We donot know how this product installs printers. Meantime, based on my understanding, your purpose cannot be achieved.

In addition, you may try to consult this with your product provider for more information.

Thanks for your understanding.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, January 20, 2012 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We donot know how this product installs printers. Meantime, based on my understanding, your purpose cannot be achieved.

In addition, you may try to consult this with your product provider for more information.

Thanks for your understanding.

Juke Chou
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Juke Chou

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, January 20, 2012 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Juke Chou

Friday, January 13, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Juke Chou
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Juke no it wasnt resolved.

the printer product uses IPP printing so in theory it uses a URL.

if you strip my question back and in the most basics terms, is it possible to add a bespoke ICON into Devices and Printers, that links to a URL ? You can do it from the desktop, IE create shortcut add a url and thats it, But the container where devices and printers reside i presume is an Uneditable area ?

Monday, February 6, 2012 2:30 PM