locked
Trouble imaging a specific model of laptop RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am having trouble getting a specific model of HP laptop to install applications as part of the imaging process using MDT 2013. It is completely random as some applications will install fine on one laptop, but not on another. The return codes that are given are the MSI Return codes of 1618, which means there is another software installation in progress. The error return code is always the same, except for Adobe Air which gives a return code of 7. The applications are a mix of HP applications and third-party applications that we use for different deployment scenarios. The third party applications install successfully on other computer systems.

    The model is the HP EliteBook 810 G1. It has a Core i5-4200u processor, 4GB of memory and a 500GB 5400-rpm HDD. The laptop will image fine with the base image that we have been using for the past several months, but the applications fail after the system has booted into Windows to install any additional applications.

    The crazy thing is, if the computer does not get joined to our domain through MDT, everything installs as expected. Only when the system is joined to the domain through MDT, does it start giving application installation errors. I've been reimaging eight laptops over and over with different things changed to see if I can come up with some sort of pattern, but I've yet to find anything. I even thought there was something wrong with the hard drives, so I replaced them, but it didn't seem to help.

    I had one laptop finish successfully this morning and I thought everything was finally fixed, so I imaged the rest of them. Come to find out only half joined the domain. The ones that did not, installed all the applications successfully and the laptops that did join the domain had application installation error return codes.

    Last week, the same day I started working on these laptops to image them, we had some of our passwords compromised by students, so we thought it was a good idea to change all passwords. The account that normally was used for imaging with MDT to join to the domain and connect back to the UNC path of the deployment server also had to be changed, so we created a separate account to only use for imaging and nothing else. It seems that this account will only join the computers to the domain half of the time. I think I may have this figured out, but testing still needs to be done to be sure.

    I am using MDT 2013 on Server 2012 R2 and WDS to PXE Boot. We've been using MDT for a little over three years and this is the first computer I've had this much trouble with. Other computers that I image will image successfully.

    Any ideas of what to check or try or logs to look at would be appreciated. I'm more interested in the applications issue of not getting installed, but I can't help to think that both issues are connected some how. I did look at the BDD.log file after deployment and of the systems that did not join the domain, it said that the computer account may already exist, but I know that is not true.

    Monday, October 13, 2014 8:30 PM

Answers

  • So, I may have solved my own issue. More testing needs to be done to confirm, but I think the issue is with one of the HP applications. Of the nine HP applications that are being installed, I commented out all but the first three in the cs.ini ByModel section and imaged two laptops. Those installed all applications and joined the domain successfully.

    I've added the next two applications in the list and am reimaging the two laptops. We'll see tomorrow morning if everything is installed properly.

    I guess I needed to take it back to basics and narrow down where the problem is coming from. I just thought it was strange how it only affected some applications, but not all and applications back to back form each other.

    I'll keep this posting updated, but I think we're on the right track.

    ~Mike 

       
    Monday, October 13, 2014 9:05 PM