Windows Explorer stops responding on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows explorer stops responding when right-clicking a folder or file.

It was happening in windows 8 and hoped the upgrade to windows 10 would resolve the problem, it did NOT.
    The hotfix from KB article 2718841 was not compatible.

Event log
    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d4c0
    Faulting module name: TmdShell_64x.dll, version: 18.0.0.1267, time stamp: 0x50d07b45
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000dcc2
    Faulting process id: 0xf7c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1291b6653c164
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\Security Agent\TmdShell_64x.dll
    Report Id: 63d2ba3a-f7ee-44e8-8eef-ede9476061d7
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Friday, November 27, 2015 11:52 PM

Answers

• Hi 2Geckos,

The error here reported that:

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\Security Agent\TmdShell_64x.dll

So, are we installed any 3rd-party anti-virus ?

The error here is reported to be related with TmdShell_64x.dll, which seems to be a file assiociated with Trend Micro.

If yes, then please first uninstall this software, then enable WindowsDefender instead.

After that, run the command below:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then check if issue insists.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:21 AM

All replies

• try this below Steps

Control Panel, searched/opened File Explorer and opened File Explorer Options. At the top of window, I changed Open File Explorer to: This PC (from quick access.)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Karsant Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:46 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2015 1:14 AM
  • Hi 2Geckos,

The error here reported that:

So, are we installed any 3rd-party anti-virus ?

The error here is reported to be related with TmdShell_64x.dll, which seems to be a file assiociated with Trend Micro.

If yes, then please first uninstall this software, then enable WindowsDefender instead.

After that, run the command below:

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then check if issue insists.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:21 AM
  • I tried the "This PC" option.  Did not resolve. 
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:23 AM
  • Very helpful. I was getting that issue, when I click on file explore, get message saying working on it and on the bar said not responding, I just did the change on the steps below and now is working just fine. Thanks a lot
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 6:43 PM