none
BFSVC:BcdOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error code, Status = [c0000098]

Question

• I do OS image deployments for customers on multiple platforms and multiple languages on multiple OS's. I'm now begining my deployment for Windows 7 and have hit a major stumbling block.

The above error happens at the end of my installation when running 'bcdboot.exe d:\windows'

As far as the install goes it is a self generating HDD install system.
    1. Four partitions are created #1 is the 200mb System, #2 is the OS partition, #3 is the WinPE boot partition for the image build set as active, #4 is the imaging files location.
    2. Upon boot of the image install the system sets partition letters for installing using diskpart.exe.
    3. An interview using an HTA file starts up asking Name, Language, Timezone, and location.
    4. Using an WMI call to the baseboard I get the SYSID so that the right driver set can be applied.
    5. Once the user selects Ok in the HTA interview screen the imaging is all automated.
    6. The very last thing that I do before rebooting is call bcdboot s:\Windows (because is the actual driver letter at the time of the windows install, I've also tired using 'D' but it doesn't work either) then I remove the extra partitions and set the #1 partition as active then reboot.

This system works fine under my windows XP install and the only real difference is the 200MB system partition.

I've tried varying the sequence but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
    Randall Dale

• Edited by Randy Dale Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:19 PM Misspelled word
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:15 PM

Answers

• I do bcdboot after the image is applied. Me thinks your bcdboot is failing because wrong partition is active at the time of bcdboot.

My workflow is:

1. Wipe the disk
    2. Create 200 MB partition. Assign letter. Active. Format
    3. Create partition ocupying the rest of the disk (or smaller). Assign letter. Format
    4. ImageX. Source is network share. Destination is partition 2 (D:)
    5. bcdboot d:\windows
    6. Reboot.

It works for me.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:03 PM

All replies

• I do bcdboot after the image is applied. Me thinks your bcdboot is failing because wrong partition is active at the time of bcdboot.

My workflow is:

1. Wipe the disk
    2. Create 200 MB partition. Assign letter. Active. Format
    3. Create partition ocupying the rest of the disk (or smaller). Assign letter. Format
    4. ImageX. Source is network share. Destination is partition 2 (D:)
    5. bcdboot d:\windows
    6. Reboot.

It works for me.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hi everyone,

This is an old thread I know, but I'm encountering a very similar issue on a Win7 tablet - the same error code when running bcdboot.exe.

The order I do the installation is:
    1. Under diskpart, clean the drive
    2. Create the system partition (primary)
    3. Format the system partition (quick format)
    4. Mark the system partition as active
    5. Create the OS partition (primary)
    6. Format the partition (quick format)
    7. Assign letter C
    8. Exit diskpart
    9. Apply the image using imagex
    10. bcdboot c:\windows
    ... and that's where I get tripped up with this error.

The frustrating thing is that I've gotten this particular tablet to play ball with what I thought was the same procedure before, but had to reinstall for unrelated reasons and now I'm getting this.

I've tried marking the system partition as active (correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that issues setting the system partition as active is often a cause of this error) at various different points in the installation procedure, but it doesn't seem to matter. I've also tried waiting until after the image has been applied before formatting the system partition and marking it active (Randall, I saw your solution in a different forum!) but again, no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I'm sure it's something silly I'm overlooking as I've done this quite a few times previously, but I'm at a loss as to what it is!

Thanks,

Brett

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:06 AM
  • Problem solved! As it turned out the issue was a micro-SD card I had plugged into it... after a whole heap of going around in circles it suddenly dawned on me that when I'd originally been trying to install Windows on the thing I didn't have the micro-SD card plugged into it... removed the card, voila! The BCDBoot error went away!

I can't say I understand why this would affect BCDBoot... does anyone have any insight on this? I'm obviously misunderstanding how the command works.

Still, problem solved... and I'm a much happier camper :)

~ Brett

• Proposed as answer by zdallin Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:22 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Thanks for the info mate... had similar problems on a computer... maybe some USB controller chipsets do not support  the bcdboot "way of work".
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Thank you so much for this post as you saved me hours of hair pulling out work!
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:19 PM