none
*Resolved* Set up separate tape backups for data sources on same volume RRS feed

• Question

• I need some advice.  We have a single DPM license for a single file server, where our live data and our archives are sitting (they are on the same volume, D).  The live data is updated throughout the day, and as such, needs to be backed up to tape nightly.  However, the archives are only updated about once a month, and they do not need to be included in our nightly backups, but we do need to back them up monthly for compliance/retention purposes.  Since they are sitting at just over 350GB, it is not logical for us to include this static data in our nightly backups.  I've looked into doing data co-location, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the environment that we are working in.  Is there anything we can do to accomplish this goal?  We'd like to use DPM 2010 only, without needing Backup Exec or something similar thrown into the mix.  We would also like to keep the data on the same server (the fewer DPM agent licenses we have to purchase, the better).

Our environment is DPM 2010, with a stand-alone LTO5 tape drive.  We originally planned to use LTO4 tapes for our nightly backups, and LTO5 tapes for our monthly backups.

This seems like an extremely simple thing to do, and is frustrating to find out that its not as straightforward as we thought.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Monday, November 22, 2010 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You will need to seperate your data so they are on different volumes.  If the server being protected is Windows 2008, backup or move the 350GB of archive data to another server.  Defrag, then shrink the D: Volume to make room, then create another volume E: to restore the archive data to.  Now you can create two protection groups, one that does daily backups of the live production data and a seperate Protection Group to backup the Archive data once a month.  

If the requirement is all data needs to be on the same drive letter D:, you can use a volume mountpoint to accomplish that, so the live and archive data are both on D:, but in reality the archive data is under a mountpoint and lives on a seperate volume.  DPM will treat that as two seperate disks and allow you to create two seperate PG's with different protection goals. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You will need to seperate your data so they are on different volumes.  If the server being protected is Windows 2008, backup or move the 350GB of archive data to another server.  Defrag, then shrink the D: Volume to make room, then create another volume E: to restore the archive data to.  Now you can create two protection groups, one that does daily backups of the live production data and a seperate Protection Group to backup the Archive data once a month.  

If the requirement is all data needs to be on the same drive letter D:, you can use a volume mountpoint to accomplish that, so the live and archive data are both on D:, but in reality the archive data is under a mountpoint and lives on a seperate volume.  DPM will treat that as two seperate disks and allow you to create two seperate PG's with different protection goals. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:05 AM
  • The first part of your post is pretty much what I thought I would hear. The folder doesn't necessarily need to be on the same volume as the live data, but the problem is that there is basically only one data partition. This server has a nice amount of storage space (3.7TB), so I will talk to my boss about splitting off 1TB or so for another volume. I had never really looked into volume mount points before, so it was interesting to read and test what they do. However, if we are going to put the data on another server or volume, then the mount point becomes a moot point in this particular situation. Thank you for your suggestions. DPM 2010 seems to have a very solid disk to disk protection solution...maybe next they will work on making their disk to tape solution more flexible and comprehensive.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:25 PM