lack of disc space!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Can anybody help? I bought an Acer Switch 10 eMMC 32GB + 500GB HDD Widows 8.1.

The tablet memory is small and because of all the apps and stuff Acer put on it before you get it means that there is no memory left for anything else. I have managed to transfer my own files to the hard drive where there is more than enough space but when I have to download files or do updates ie tom tom update it says there isn't enough disk space. I have spent hours trying to find away to change the default storage or a way of using the excess storage in Data (D:) but can't seem to do it. I think this is why windows 10 hasn't reached me yet! Can anyone help me please before I launch the bl**dy thing through my window! Thank you :-/

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you’re hurting for hard drive space, these tricks should help you free up space for important files and programs by removing the unimportant junk cluttering up your hard disk.

Run Disk Cleanup. Windows includes a built-in tool that deletes temporary files and other unimportant data. To access it, right-click one of your hard drives in the Computer window and select Properties.

Uninstalling programs will free up space, but some programs use very little space. From the Programs and Features control panel, you can click the Size column to see just how much space each program installed on your computer is using. The easiest way to get there is to search for “Uninstall programs” in the Start Menu.

If System Restore is eating up a lot of hard drive space for restore points, you can reduce the amount of hard disk space allocated to System Restore. The trade-off is you’ll have less restore points to restore your system from and less previous copies of files to restore. If these features are less important to you than the hard disk space they use, go ahead and free a few gigabytes by reducing the amount of space System Restore uses.

Right click computer-properties-system protection

When you hibernate your system, it saves the contents of its RAM to your hard drive. This allows it to save its system state without any power usage – the next time you boot your computer, you’ll be back where you left of. Windows saves the contents of your RAM in the C:\hiberfil.sys file. To save hard drive space, you can disable hibernate entirely, which removes the file.

Run following command to disable hibernate on Windows.

powercfg /hibernate off

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Deason Wu Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jane68 Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:10 AM

All replies

• You seem to be mixing disk space and memory.  Can you be more specific about the underlying issue?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Monday, October 26, 2015 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

If you’re hurting for hard drive space, these tricks should help you free up space for important files and programs by removing the unimportant junk cluttering up your hard disk.

Run Disk Cleanup. Windows includes a built-in tool that deletes temporary files and other unimportant data. To access it, right-click one of your hard drives in the Computer window and select Properties.

Uninstalling programs will free up space, but some programs use very little space. From the Programs and Features control panel, you can click the Size column to see just how much space each program installed on your computer is using. The easiest way to get there is to search for “Uninstall programs” in the Start Menu.

If System Restore is eating up a lot of hard drive space for restore points, you can reduce the amount of hard disk space allocated to System Restore. The trade-off is you’ll have less restore points to restore your system from and less previous copies of files to restore. If these features are less important to you than the hard disk space they use, go ahead and free a few gigabytes by reducing the amount of space System Restore uses.

Right click computer-properties-system protection

When you hibernate your system, it saves the contents of its RAM to your hard drive. This allows it to save its system state without any power usage – the next time you boot your computer, you’ll be back where you left of. Windows saves the contents of your RAM in the C:\hiberfil.sys file. To save hard drive space, you can disable hibernate entirely, which removes the file.

Run following command to disable hibernate on Windows.

powercfg /hibernate off

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Deason Wu Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jane68 Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:10 AM