none
CNAME autodiscover.mycompanyname.com to mail01.test.local RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can anybody please help?

I need to have internal clients to be able to connect to autodiscover.companay.com. I created a CNAME in my local DNS autodiscover.companay.com to mail01.test.local. nslookup finds the correct IP address, however, PING or remote desktop fails.

Is creating a CNAME the correct of way doing this? Or is there any way of forwarding autodiscover.companay.com to mail01.test.local in the local DNS?

Thanks

R

Friday, November 25, 2016 1:04 AM

Answers

• Hello R_Smith1999,

Check you exchange configuration. Check your Web Services Virtual Directories, the internal address probably still points to the internal server name. You'll need to modify that for the external address that you want to use. Your CNAME is created so that should be fine, once you modify the Virtual Directories it should work properly.

Not sure which version of Exchange you are running but the following link details how to do the above for Exchange 2010. The procedure is very similar for 2013 and up, just check google.

http://m.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/exchange-autodiscover-part2.html

Hopefully this helps!

Brian Baldock | MCTS | MS | MCP

Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee.

Test, then test again.

• Marked as answer by R_Smith1999 Friday, November 25, 2016 3:40 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hello R_Smith1999,

Check you exchange configuration. Check your Web Services Virtual Directories, the internal address probably still points to the internal server name. You'll need to modify that for the external address that you want to use. Your CNAME is created so that should be fine, once you modify the Virtual Directories it should work properly.

Not sure which version of Exchange you are running but the following link details how to do the above for Exchange 2010. The procedure is very similar for 2013 and up, just check google.

http://m.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/exchange-autodiscover-part2.html

Hopefully this helps!

Brian Baldock | MCTS | MS | MCP

Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee.

Test, then test again.

• Marked as answer by R_Smith1999 Friday, November 25, 2016 3:40 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Thanks Brian,

My main issue is to get the autodiscover.companay.com  to point to the internal IP of the server (for the LAN clients).

Is  implementing an another DNS Zone (Split DNS) the only way of doing this?  

Can I define a record/rule in my internal DNS so it only returns name resolution for autodiscover.companay.com and redirects any other companay.com related domain queries to the external DNS servers?

• Edited by R_Smith1999 Friday, November 25, 2016 3:46 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2016 3:45 AM
  • This looks like an example where you would need split DNS. I'm not familiar with any method to resolve a single entry in one DNS server and have all other requests for that zone resolved by other DNS servers.

Another possibility is using Group Policy to update the hosts file on the machines if you don't want to mess with split DNS.

Friday, November 25, 2016 8:36 PM