none
Deadlock errors in SQL Server 2008 Web edition RRS feed

• Question

• We recently upgraded from SQL Server 2008 Express to SQL Server 2008 Web edition.  We also upgraded to a new version of the Absolute Banner Manager third party tool - http://www.xigla.com/abannermanager/

We had been running a previous version of this third party tool under SQL Server Express with no problems.

Under the new version of the banner tool we started seeing a lot of deadlock errors.  The banner tool vendor kept insisting that their product was not the problem.

Eventually, the vendor sent us a fix that solved the problem.  In their fix, they put in the (nolock) table hint in all of their read only select statements.

From all of the research I have been doing, I find information that says that SQL Server is supposed to automatically manage locks and prevent deadlocks from occurring.

My question is this, since it appears that the (nolock) hint solves the problem, does this mean that the vendor has designed their database incorrectly somewhere along the way?  Or does this mean that I don't have a database attribute or parameter set correctly somewhere in SQL Management Studio?

Thanks,
    Gary

Gary Frickey

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:37 PM

All replies

• Gary,

Your question found its way to the Forefront Identity forum. While someone here might have an idea, there's probably a better forum out there.. Not sure which though.. 

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:14 PM
  • Sorry, I forgot to select the correct category when I first submitted this.   I reposted it to the SQL Server group.

Is there a way I can delete it from this forum?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:33 PM
  • I think the forum admin can clean it up. Not a big deal, happens all the time.

Frank C. Drewes III - Architect - Oxford Computer Group

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Probably happens more to the Forefront Identity forum since that is the first in the drop down list if people forget to choose one like I did.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:38 PM