Hard reset breaks Outlook Mail and Calendar live tiles updates, no known fix RRS feed

• Question

• The issue is already confirmed by multiple customers http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-insider-preview/425296-5.htm#post3601209

Short description: peforming hard reset on Redstone 1 build breaks Mail and Calendar live tiles beyond repair, no application updates nor subsequent hard resets helps to resolve the issue.

Steps:

1. you have a fresh new Windows 10 mobile unboxed (having an old windows build)

2. perform update to latest version 10.0.14393.448

3. perfrorm update of Store app and all applications (live tiles works)

4. perform hard reset (without restoring settings)

5. perfrorm update of Store app and all applications

Now the live tiles of Outlook Mail and Calendar applications (latest version 17.7705.42038.0) no longer updates. Removing accounts or unpin/pin tiles does not help nor any subsequent hard resets. The only known workaround is to go back to Threshold 2 by WDRT, update all apps, then update to .448 Windows version and never do a hard reset.

Since Outlook Mail and Calendar are essential apps and live tiles are flagship Windows 10 feature, please fix it ASAP. It is easily and 100% reproducible issue probably caused by Redstone 1 update.

I don't know where to report it to get attention. Answers forum is useless and there is already such feedback in the Feedback app regarding this particular issue without any Microsoft response yet.

Thanks.

• Edited by Petr Vones Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:15 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just wanted to confirm that I have also been having this issue.

It seems that when the live tile needs to update it's information (either by an event ending or date change) it crashes and just shows the standard tile. The only way to get it back is to re-size the tile or re-pin it to the start menu. I've even tried adding a test event for the same day and the tile never updates the new information.

I got this issue because I was testing RS2 and had a Wi-Fi problem, so I went back to Windows Phone 8.1 (using the WDRT) and upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile (TH1) I then upgraded to RS1 and then did a reset before I configured the phone. So it does seem a reset is what causes it, when it should just work regardless.

So if anyone has to reset their phone for any reason... Be warned!

Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Here also, und the Lumia 830 from my girl friend has the same problem. Microsoft, why don't you fix this???
    Monday, December 12, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Microsoft, do you realize how serious the issue is ? It affects all Windows 10 Mobile devices including business models Lumia 950/XL and HP Elite x3. The hard reset procedure is typically recommended by Microsoft support team as a fix of problems and believed as safe recovery option but instead of providing a solution it creates more irreversible issues now and leaves bad impression of the platfform.

There are reports in the Feedback app but apparently nobody reads them because the issue is already known and reproducible for several months but none of Outlook Mail and Calendar application updates have fixed it yet.

Some reports from Redstone 2 Insider Preview testers indicates the issue still persists there as well.

Can we at least get a confirmation from you (Microsoft) that the issue is being investigated ? We found it after all.
    • Edited by Petr Vones Monday, December 12, 2016 10:05 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Please check if solutions from this post help you.

I am quoting the original author (follow the above link):

ISSUE: Initially, after hard reset, the notification text on my

Outlook Mail tile would not update, at least it would not update

automatically. I found that I could force the tile to update by

resizing it.

WORKAROUND: Instead of pinning the Outlook Mail account to the

start screen, pin just the INBOX folder to the Start screen.

The steps I used are given below.

ISSUE: Initially, after hard reset, the notification text on my

Outlook Mail tile would not update automatically. Observation:

I could force the tile to update by resizing it.

SOLUTION: Delete the Email account, and then re-add it which adds a

new tile to the Start screen. The steps are given below.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Friday, December 16, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Please check if solutions from this post help you.

Of course, NOT. The so called "solution" is just hack that works for a single email folder of single account only and can not fix the dead Calendar live tile. Please no more references to Answers forum, that's why I posted it to Technet.

The bug is clear as described by me and other users (the link) in my first post and must be fixed by Microsoft.  Note that I am software developer so I have skills to diagnose and report exact steps to reproduce bugs like that. Despite of I don't have source code of these apps I almost know where the issue is but I can not fix it myself.

I and other customers can reproduce the bug all the time (went through several hard reset + WDRT cycles), the only known fix for now is to use the WDRT tool and install any pre-Redstone 1 build (if available) and then update. I think this very complicated and time consuming fix will stop work later when WDRT default build updates to a Redstone 1 one so you can trash the mobile at all because it will become beyond repair by that :-/

Please tell me, why is so complicated for Microsoft to take a Lumia or HP Elite x3 phone and perform the steps in my first post ? It takes about 30 minutes only and it is 100% reproducible on any phone. We (customers) have already spent many hours with this issue and provided exact steps to reproduce it. What else Microsoft wants us to provide to finally start investigate it ? Do I have to bring a Windows 10 Mobile phone to local Microsoft office and demonstrate the issue ? Well, no problem.

• Edited by Petr Vones Friday, December 16, 2016 9:35 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 8:55 PM
  • This thing is very interesting. Here is why.

During the past three days I was fighting with Microsoft Restore feature. I made like 20+ resets through Settings | System | About | Reset.

Almost in every recovery attempt Windows 10 Mobile setup was failing to recover past 21% of recovering. After that l had been presented with the notorious Connection error message with Something happened and we couldn't recover all of your settings.

Needless to say, I didn't see any tiny bit of recovered settings after setup completed.

Why the story?

In all cases I had NO issues with the live tile of Microsoft Outlook. It has been flipping after every reset.

Up until the last recovery...

I gave up recovering what had been failing every time. So the last time I have chosen not to use any backup copy and selected the option to start from scratch.

And you know what? Now my Outlook live tile doesn't work. That's the first time it has stopped to refresh.

Important note. It could be, the reason of why it stopped to work is that in this my last setup I have added more than one account to Microsoft Outlook and I have linked some of them into separate groups.

In all previous resets I used only a single account, the one I use as my Microsoft account to log into the phone.

Could this linking be the culprit?

Sunday, December 18, 2016 12:25 AM
  • Hello, Petr!

It seems following has fixed the issue for me

let's wait for a while tho to verify it finally works. At least, after 7 hrs after making the change below i have found out that both the tile of Outlook Calendar and the tile of Microsoft Outlook are now live again and flip over showing, correspondingly, the ongoing even and recently received mails.

Best of all, the events are now back to the lock screen. Before that I've found them gone from the lock screen.

Here's what I have done:

1) Unlinked all accounts in Microsoft Outlook

2) Changed the Download new contents option from Based on my usage to As items arrive in accounts settings via Microsoft Calendar and synced the account.

Sunday, December 18, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Here's what I have done:

2) Changed the Download new contents option from Based on my usage to As items arrive in accounts settings via Microsoft Calendar and synced the account.

I have tried it many times and it did not help.

But your observation that the issue is related to skip saved settings during recovery (I never use the saved settings) is useful and can narrow the issue ... if Microsoft care.

• Edited by Petr Vones Monday, December 19, 2016 11:32 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 11:22 PM
  • Here's what I have done:

I have tried it many times and it did not help.

But your observation that the issue is related to skip saved settings during recovery (I never use the saved settings) is useful and can narrow the issue ... if Microsoft care.

My last experience with syncing settings makes me think that gazillion of issues is produced by some flaws in processes around account management.

Just to give you a clue:

Accounts added in Settings | Accounts | Email & app accounts are displayed in the order as they were added. But not only that. The order in which you add accounts affects the order in which Microsoft Outlook processes accounts.

Yes. Display order seems to affect processing order. Hard to believe but this is what I see in my case.

Emails for the account which was added first will be checked in first place. Moreover, when you open Microsoft Outlook, you will see that it defaults to the inbox of that first account you've added! What you can do to make Outlook to show you the inbox of another account.

1) Remove all accounts and add accounts again making sure that account for which you want to check messages more frequently goes first in the list.

2) Link accounts into one virtual inbox and then... unlink them.

While the first option is quite clear, the seconds is as surprising as it can get. When you group inboxes, they are added in the order as they were added in Settings. However, if you unlink accounts, the last one you unlink becomes the first in the list of all of your accounts.

Believe it or not, but to make account X to go first in the list you must:
    1) Link this account with other accounts.

2) Tap unlink and then, when clearing check boxes for the accounts you are unlinking, make sure that checkbox next to the account that you want to go first in the account list is cleared AFTER all other check boxes are cleared. So, make sure to unlink the account has to have top processing priority in the last place.

Now if you restart Microsoft Outlook, you'll see that the last unlinked account goes first and the list of accounts, and, most importantly, this is the inbox of this account, which is opened by default!

Not only that.

If you have linked contacts, the same "approach" works here to. What do I mean by that? Here's the story.

Suppose, you have a main Microsoft Outlook account that you use to sign-in into Windows Phone. That's the one used by Windows to process your payments, environment settings, whatsoever (that's not to explain it to you, Petr, or any one else who, might be much more experienced than me, but for all other audience who may come across this post).

Okay, so you have this main Microsoft account and you add another ones registered @outlook @live, etc. Now that you may link a contact that is available in multiple accounts. This contact may have a thumbnail in one of the accounts, and not the other. When you link contacts into a single contact, the joined contact inherits shared properties. Thus, it receives the thumbnail assigned to the contact in one of the accounts.

However.

Eventually, you find out that some of contacts have lost their thumbnails. Thumbnails have just disappeared all of a sudden. What could be the solution?

Unlink the contacts. For some reason, now only your main Microsoft account stores the contact thumbnail. When you unlink the contact, contact that is registered in the main account will still have the thumbnail.

The curtain falls.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Emails for the account which was added first will be checked in first place. Moreover, when you open Microsoft Outlook, you will see that it defaults to the inbox of that first account you've added!

I also hate this. I can imagine how easy would be to add simple option to sort all accounts. Speaking of Outlook accounts and People don't get me started about Skype integration that makes all the existing mess a nightmare :-/ I already had to create another Microsoft account and switch all devices to it because Microsoft support wasn't able to fix my original broken account.

I still like Microsoft platform more than others but these simple issues are becoming really annoying, especially when you know it is being reported in various forums and Feedback app for many months without a single response from Microsoft.

• Edited by Petr Vones Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Unfortunately, it all looks like Microsoft has abandoned their Windows 10 Mobile platform. This synchronization problem is not your regular Windows problem, as it affects productivity. But still there isn't a line of a comment from Microsoft support.

The Feedback hub is a cool thing, but it's like a black hole. You throw a decent number of bug reports, and... you get nothing as if no one listens to you on that side.

I can't believe the thing like a display order affecting processing exists in a mature product. I could tolerate if that was encountered in a free open source tool made by some school graduate. But in Windows 10? Uhm?

I think Microsoft is like that:

• Android is ugly; if the customer likes Windows, he will never get an Android.
    • iOS is okay, but it's not for a customer that works with Windows; because, you know, it's like trying to incorporate a Mercedes' interior in a BMW car, it probably will work, but it's not worth the trouble, you either get a Merc or you get a Beemer.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:28 AM
  • Unfortunately, it all looks like Microsoft has abandoned their Windows 10 Mobile platform.

I don't think so. Many Mobile applications and its code is shared with the PC version. It is clear because there are same bugs :-) This is the case of Mail and Calendar app. There is bug in IMAP account, if you send a message the From field has no Your name from the setting, there is just email address. The bug is there for six months (in both PC and Mobile version), there are tons of its report in the Feedback app and still no fix.

The terrible (no-)support is similar for the Windows 10 PC version as well. I have alredy given up to report any bugs because you get only pre-canned clueless responses as reset the application and such. Last time I reported reproducible bug in OneDrive photo synchronization and got answer to reset the app. They even didn't bother to check I use mobile version where the reset feature is not available yet.

As for these other options, none of them is for me. Android is one big security hole beyond repair without any regular security updates and iOS has terrible illogical user interface that looks like targeted to preschool children, don't mention overpriced devices with outdated specs (no OLED display nor dual sim support).

Last chance are XDA Developers "hackers" to the rescue http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10-mobile and their Interop Tools :-) You can get access to registry and file system and thus opportunity to fix issues yourself.

• Edited by Petr Vones Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Reinstalling the Mail and Calendar app seems to resolve the issue (note that resetting the application local data only that is introduced in Insider Preview version won't help). Unfortunately this is not possible without using unofficial tools to remove the application first. Kudos to the XDA developers people !

Microsoft, can you finally acknowledge it and start to fix your issues when we have done your job ?

• Edited by Petr Vones Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:00 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Reinstalling the Mail and Calendar app seems to resolve the issue (note that resetting the application local data only that is introduced in Insider Preview version won't help). Unfortunately this is not possible without using unofficial tools to remove the application first. Kudos to the XDA developers people !

Microsoft, can you finally acknowledge it and start to fix your issues when we have done your job ?

So you were perfectly right, given this statement:

what you're looking for is ESED databases. Which are actually files

stored on disk. To clean them, you need to uninstall the concerned app.

The culprit is the database file stored within app's folder.

Friday, December 23, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Fixed in 15063 build.
    • Marked as answer by Petr Vones Friday, March 24, 2017 3:05 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Issue still persists on build 15063 (even up to today's .414 update)

Ryan Buckwalter

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:29 PM
  • Issue still persists on build 15063 (even up to today's .414 update)

Ryan Buckwalter

Does it mean the live tiles are dead after hard reset ?
    Friday, June 23, 2017 7:23 AM