none
KB4011233 breaks new workbooks with signed macros in Excel 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings - I don't see any posts about this security update appears to break new workbooks that have signed visual basic project macros. 

Our security settings are set to block all macros except signed macros.  We have an annual workbook that includes macros, which we've signed using a valid certificate.  The existing 2017 signed macro workbook works fine, however, when we test the 2018 workbook, we receive a message "Cannot run the macro 'Filename.xlsm|Macroname'.  This macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled".

Uninstall the update, and the 2018 workbook is fine and functions as expected.

Does anyone have an acceptable workaround for this issue, or is the solution to decline this update and remove it from existing workstations?

Thank you!

• Edited by brent_m Monday, November 20, 2017 4:04 PM
    Monday, November 20, 2017 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

we have the same problem.

It is a big issue for us because we need the macros for our production work.

Uninstalling the update means the we have to block excel sheets on our mailserver.

Greets

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Hi brent_m,

Based on your description, I tested this problem in my environment Windows 8.1 and Office 2013.

I create the Digital Certificate first and then open a new workbook and record a simple code with the Digital Certificate and save the file as .xlsm:

After installing the KB4011233 and reopen the .xlsm file I don't get any error message.

Are my steps correct? Am I missing something?

Please provide detail steps so that I can reproduce this problem in my environment and check the result.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

the strange thing is that it not happend with all macros .

i can send you an example workbook.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:00 PM
  • Hi brent_m,

Based on your description, I tested this problem in my environment Windows 8.1 and Office 2013.

I create the Digital Certificate first and then open a new workbook and record a simple code with the Digital Certificate and save the file as .xlsm:

After installing the KB4011233 and reopen the .xlsm file I don't get any error message.

Are my steps correct? Am I missing something?

Please provide detail steps so that I can reproduce this problem in my environment and check the result.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thanks for taking a look and trying to duplicate the issue.

It seems that workbooks created, signed, and opened before the update was installed work fine (i assume it's now a trusted document).  Those created and signed after the update do not work.  You also want to check that your macro settings are set to disable all except signed macros.  There may be a couple other Excel hardening settings I'm forgetting to mention here.  Trust VBA model is unchecked...Also, be sure you execute the macro to verify functionality.  The workbook opens OK, it just lacks macro functionality.  

Also, we're running Windows 7 in our environment.  I'm not sure if that helps.  And it's only new workbooks signed after the update is installed.  

In any case, this security update definitely alters the expected behavior of our signed macros.

• Edited by brent_m Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks, if possible please send the sample file to our mail address:

ibsofc@microsoft.com

Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:32 AM
  • i have send you the file

Frank

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi Frank,

I don't get the sample file, please check if you send to the correct address and try to send it again.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

We have a similar issue except its happening on a WIndows 10 x64 with Office 2016 Pro. We raised the issue with Microsoft Premeir Support and I guess they acknowledged it as an issue. Hopefully they will release a hotfix.

Thank you.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

We have a similar issue except its happening on a WIndows 10 x64 with Office 2016 Pro. We raised the issue with Microsoft Premeir Support and I guess they acknowledged it as an issue. Hopefully they will release a hotfix.

Thank you.

Thanks for following up here and letting us know!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:44 PM
  • It appears that KB4011597 causes the same behavior.  Self signed and trusted macros will no longer function when this update is applied to the computer.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Hello,

Yes that is true, I opened a case with Microsoft and they are aware of it. As a workaround they told me to uninstall the update which for sure will not do as its a security update.

KB4011597  as well is having the same issue.
    • Edited by Khaled Laz Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:02 PM