Centering text is a pain for some reason? RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, so my problem in work right now is that when I am creating a heading for an essay for school, I type my name in the Left.

Then I will put my title in the middle, so I put a space, type the title, highlight it so only that text is affected, then click the center button. Instead of centering only that text, it centers the whole heading. This is a huge pain in the $#s, because then I have to resort to manually centering the text. Any fixes?

Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:18 PM

Answers

• That is not how to center a phrase within a line. What you need to do is to insert a tab between your name and the heading, then put a center-aligned tab-stop into the paragraph at the point where you want the centre of the heading to be. The centring tab-stop can be inserted by choosing:
    • the 'center tab' option from the tabs button in the top-right corner of the document pane, then clicking on an appropriate location on the ruler (the inserted tab-stop can be dragged left/right for fine-tuning); or
    • Paragraph>Tabs from the Ribbon and using the Tabs dialogue to set a center tab position where you want it to be.

A more flexible way would be to insert a borderless table with two or more columns, with your name in the first column and the heading in the second column. You can then align the content in each column independently of the others. The advantage of this approach is that either column's content could span multiple lines without disturbing the alignment of its neighbour(s).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:41 AM
  • As Paul said, use a Center Tab for this.

Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

The centering you have been doing is not for selected text but for the paragraph, which includes your name.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, February 15, 2016 12:41 PM

All replies

• That is not how to center a phrase within a line. What you need to do is to insert a tab between your name and the heading, then put a center-aligned tab-stop into the paragraph at the point where you want the centre of the heading to be. The centring tab-stop can be inserted by choosing:
    • the 'center tab' option from the tabs button in the top-right corner of the document pane, then clicking on an appropriate location on the ruler (the inserted tab-stop can be dragged left/right for fine-tuning); or
    • Paragraph>Tabs from the Ribbon and using the Tabs dialogue to set a center tab position where you want it to be.

A more flexible way would be to insert a borderless table with two or more columns, with your name in the first column and the heading in the second column. You can then align the content in each column independently of the others. The advantage of this approach is that either column's content could span multiple lines without disturbing the alignment of its neighbour(s).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, February 12, 2016 12:41 AM
  • Hi, ComputerExpert69

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Word for Developers , I'll move your question to the Technet forum for Word IT Pro Discussions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=word

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thanks for your understanding.

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:16 AM
  • As Paul said, use a Center Tab for this.

Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word - from Shauna Kelly

The centering you have been doing is not for selected text but for the paragraph, which includes your name.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, February 15, 2016 12:41 PM