none
How can we enable microphone icon on windows 10 tablet touch keyboards ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to use speech dictation along with touch keyboard for a windows 10 tablet application. Currently I am not able to find the microphone on the touch keyboard.  How can we enable microphone on windows 10 laptop touch keyboards (as in ipads and android tabs).

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:45 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately I don't believe there is an option for this and it's been asked for something like this a couple of years now.  The best thing you could probably do is set up speech recognition. It's come a long way since it first released, I would give that a try and see if it can suit your needs.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. But our requirement was that the application behave similarly as in ipads and android tabs. So speech recognition does not seems to be a solution.

Once again thanks for the response. Also please keep me posted if any windows update will bring this functionality, or any other way to get over this.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hi Nosferatu301,

“How can we enable microphone on windows 10 laptop touch keyboards (as in ipads and android tabs).”
    I am not sure the exact purpose. For the microphone configuration, it should be activated automatically if the application needs it.
    Please check the microphone configuration here.
    Settings\Privacy\Microphone

If I have misunderstood the issue, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 10:14 AM
  • I am trying to do the same and this link looked promising, but I don't have the keyboard setting buttons on my on-screen keyboard.    

https://www.windowscentral.com/askdanwindows-38

Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:20 AM
  • https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-speech-to-text-guide/
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:27 AM
  • https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-speech-to-text-guide/
    That link has NOTHING to do with adding the microphone button to the virtual keyboard.

Sunday, June 10, 2018 7:29 PM
  • Go to settings.

In the search box type: voice

(important: you may have to selct 'show all results'. I'm not sure why they don't show you all the results immediately, maybe the technology in today's computers can't handle the additional computing resources necessary to disply the extra bytes of info LOL)

Select: Start speech recognition

This doesn't put the microphone on the virtual microphone-it will be at the top of your screen. You either click on it or give it a verbal command to start listening. I wish it was simply on the virtual keyboard and maybe there's an app we can download for that. Given the complexity of my new laptop I don't have time to download and learn more apps & possibly never will because Windows 10 is so full of bugs.

It took me a while to figure this out because there wasn't much help here. That seems to be the case anymore. It's as if people really aren't trying to really in online forums, they just want someone to talk to...I don't get it.

• Edited by Shabotzky Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:12 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:02 PM