none
Windows Storage Server 2012 Randomly Drops Mapped Drives on All Client PCs

Question

• Server has been great and online for about 7 months without issue.  Three times over the last two weeks, all clients' mapped drives just drop and Windows Explorer hangs...  I am not able to disconnect drives via command prompt, nor remap drives via command prompt.  However, I can ping the server and remote desktop to the server perfectly.  No errors in logs on workstations or server.  Affects all workstations (60+ running Windows 7 Pro) simultaneously.  Client mappings to other servers (Windows 2008 R2) running on the same switch are unaffected.  Reboot the 2012 server and you can reconnect to mapped drives by clicking on them in Windows Explorer.  Any ideas?
    Monday, February 29, 2016 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi VioletBlueThru,

Is there any detailed error message when you trying to disconnect drives via command prompt or is there any error message recorded in?

Microsoft provides a KB link when we cannot open a drive on server 2012, we could refer to it to work around these issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2957623  

If the issue persists, since this issue affects all workstations, it is might not related to clients, we could try to reconfigure the share folder on server 2012 then map again to have a test.

Make sure you are not allowing the NIC to go into power save mode, refer to this link to check and change it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/10/22/do-you-have-a-sleepy-nic.aspx

Then try to turn off the autodisconnect feature of the Server service using “net” command.

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I did regular patching on the server last night and will see if that helps the issue.  The roll-up link looks promising - I am thinking it has something to do with lanman or security. 

All shares on this particular server drop along with all open files. I believe the error message at command prompt when trying to delete mapping was that the server could not be reached or time out.  If/when it happens again, I will note. For testing purposes, I have an old XP workstation now attached to see if it disconnects as well.

Thank you, again, for your reply, and I will post back with more info. if the server drops us again.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Hi VioletBlueThru,

If there is anything update, please feel free to let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:49 PM