Vista and ATI theater 550 problems RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems with vista mce and my theater 550 tv tuner. This problem happens in all vista builds from beta2 to rtm. The problem is i will start mce and watch live tv and with in 30mins the picture will freeze and the screen will go black and lock up the computer. In vista problem report is says "video hardware stop windows from working correctly". This only happens if im watching tv. I was wondering if somebody has this problem or a solution. I have a ati x800xl agp card with theater 550 tuner and have install the latess ati rtm drivers.
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:25 PM

All replies

• Initial lack of final release driver support would be my guess. I assume you are using an Beta/RC class driver from ATI still. ATI does not list any official TV Tuner drivers for Vista. So, I would say that it's the typical problem with any brand new OS. It's the lack of final-release driver support immediately following a new OS launch. It always seems to take 1,2,3 or even 6-12 months or so before driver support catches up to the final RTM build of an OS.

AMD-ATI Drivers
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

FWIW, I have a nearly identical setup as you. I am running a PCIe ATI Radeon X800 GTO and a PCI type ATI Theater Pro 550. So far, ATI does not list any drivers for 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Vista. My Theater Pro 550 is sitting in Vista RTM's "unknown device" list at the moment.

I'm running the following components.

Linux (various)
    Windows XP Professional (SP2)
    Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (RTM)

CoolerMaster CM Stacker
    Enermax EG565P-VE (535W)
    Intel Pentium-D 2.67GHz
    Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi/AP
    2.0 GB of Corsair Twin2X2048-6400 (DDR2-800, PC2-6400)
    1.0 TB of combined IDE/SATA/SATA2 storage
    ATI Radeon X800 GTO, 256MB, PCIe (waiting on R600)
    Creative SB-Audigy Platinum (waiting on PCIe X-Fi)
    ATI Theater Pro 550

And I'm only missing driver support for the onboard Wireless and the TV Tuner at the moment.

I'm keeping a close eye on drivers.

Friday, December 1, 2006 2:08 AM
  • I noticed that the Vista RTM does support my TV Tuner card. Fortunately, the remote control also works for the basic functions. So, the Vista RTM is working with the ATI Theater Pro 550 on my machine.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 6:30 PM
  • Huh, where did you find the driver for the Theater Pro 550. I tried to update the drivers and Vista does not find it. When I try to manually pick the driver, I scroll through the possible device types focusing on ATI as the vendor, and dont find a match... What was the device name you picked up on??? Any help you could provide would be great. As it stands, I am TV-less. Thanks again

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:19 PM
  •  viper1ca wrote:
    I'm having problems with vista mce and my theater 550 tv tuner. This problem happens in all vista builds from beta2 to rtm. The problem is i will start mce and watch live tv and with in 30mins the picture will freeze and the screen will go black and lock up the computer. In vista problem report is says "video hardware stop windows from working correctly". This only happens if im watching tv. I was wondering if somebody has this problem or a solution. I have a ati x800xl agp card with theater 550 tuner and have install the latess ati rtm drivers.

I have similar problem with my ATI Radeon 9100 in Vista Beta and RTM. Any suggestion to resolve?

Sunday, December 24, 2006 6:57 AM
  • Ok i found a solution to my problem this is only for the 32bit version of vista for now. All i needed to do is change the default mpeg2 decoder that vista mce uses. I downloaded a small program called vmcd that can change the default decoder. I put in the powerdvd(cyberlink) decoder instead. Since then my tv does not freeze up anymore.
    Sunday, December 24, 2006 1:53 PM
  • There is now a patch for Catalyst 7.3 which may help you. I have the ATI X800XL AIW with Vista 64 and experienced non-stop BSOD crashes. I loaded this patch and now have much more stability. The tuner driver appears to be off the table until June from what I hear. As you move forward I highly recommend checking out www.driverheaven.net for further advice.

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:04 PM