none
Group renamed with ADAC does not change name in ECP

Question

• Hi everyone,

every year we have many group renamings because of changes within our org structure.

This year i have to complete this task. My colleague said that i have to rename them in Exchange (ECP) AND in Active Directory. I thought this the same data? 

So i tried myself with the Active Directory Administrative Center and changed Group Name, Samaccountname and the Emailaddress of the Group. I opened the ADAC with the credentials of the Exchange Admin.

But when i open up the ECP i still see the old email adress and the old display name. Is there a hourly task or daily task that syncs the view?

When i change the emailadress and displayname in ECP it only changes the emailadress when viewed with ADAC.

Is this by design or do i have some problems? ;)

Regards Stephan

OneDrive / Sharepoint Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephan,

Yes, the changes in AD will not update to Exchange immediately.

In Exchange side, we can use Update-Recipient to force update AD attributes with Exchange attributes.
    For example:
    Get-DistributionGroup | Update-Recipient
    Get-Mailbox | Update-Recipient

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Hi Allen,

i waited for about 5 days. Nothing happens. 

I think it's just different attributes. You change CN and samaccountname in AD Users and computers. And displayname in Exchange.

I don't even know why you need a displayname when you have the CN but maybe there are use cases i can't think of

Regards Stephan

Wednesday, May 02, 2018 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

CN, SamAccountName, DisplayName and Alias are different, and there're used in different situation.

Does the SamAccountName, DisplayName and Alias sync to Exchange correctly after changing them in AD?
    You can run below command to double check:
    Get-User Account| fl *alias*,*name*
    Get-Mailbox Account | fl *alias*,*name*

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi Allen,

thanks for your answer. But as these are user related commands..is there a command for groups?

Get-DistributionGroup | Update-Recipient

Is also for another purpose.

Regards Stephan

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:26 AM
  • Yes, you can do that.

Best Regards,
    Allen Wang

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 6:48 AM