Can't see shared screen (presentation) when joining other meetings over internet. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I just started my internship in a semi-medium sized company. They have a problem I have a hard time figuring out.

When the CEO etc. join a meeting over the internet, they can hear sound but they can't see the presentation / shared screen from the "hoster".

If we test it internally it all works fine. The problem is when they are joining meetings hosted by other companies. There can be 3-4 different companies joining that meeting, and our company is the only company who can't see the shared screen, so the hoster's setup seems to be just fine. The problem is on our end. 

Error message: "We couldn't connect to the presentation because of network issues. Please try again later".

We have a sonic wall firewall. My feeling is that it is blocking some port that is used for that specific option. Can you help me understand what is required to make sure that works? I don't think the problem is Lync Server we host, the problem is the firewall is blocking traffic out on certain port (I think!)

Please advice me what to do next :)

Thank you from Denmark.

• Edited by Joakim Koed Friday, February 10, 2017 8:33 AM Spelling
    Friday, February 10, 2017 8:31 AM

All replies

• You  might need to check with the firewall ports for the media , 443 and 3478 enabled to and fro as well as check if you have any  other  devices like port sniffers or packet level monitors which might be the issue causing this 

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Friday, February 10, 2017 11:02 AM
  • Presentation you mean PPT sharing?or desktop sharing?both will use differnet method of communication.If PPT presentation failure only ,then you need to check the WAC published on internet and accessible it from internet.

Common for desktop sharing then i will agree with Linus .

Check ports TCP 443 and UDP 3478 to and from internet is allowed.

Jayakumar K

Friday, February 10, 2017 11:52 AM
  • Hi 

I just left for the weekend. But I will check this ASAP on monday. Thank you all :)

I will report back for progress.

Friday, February 10, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Presentation you mean PPT sharing?or desktop sharing?both will use differnet method of communication.If PPT presentation failure only ,then you need to check the WAC published on internet and accessible it from internet.

Common for desktop sharing then i will agree with Linus .

Check ports TCP 443 and UDP 3478 to and from internet is allowed.

Jayakumar Kli

I think it's PPT sharing. I'm just assuming since CEO said "presentation" problem. Can you explain what you mean by WAC?
    Friday, February 10, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Hi Joalim,

WAC server means office web app server, SFB uses WAC server to handle PowerPoint presentations, the following document is for your reference
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt297723.aspx

If the issue only appeared on the specific SFB client, please try as following:
    1.Delete SFB cache files: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com
    2.Perform a clean boot on your computer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If all users had the issue, please try to install the latest update for your SFB server.

Please check if the port 3478 and 443 as others suggested, you could also use get-CsConferencingConfiguration to check the application sharing port is correct.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412969.aspx

If the issue persists, please check if there are any event IDs in SFB FE server and Edge server.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:10 AM