none
Project Server 2013 - Mechanism of "subprojects" checkbox in ribbon of PWA project center RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

In our PWA system we have organized our projects in a hierarchy of three levels: master projects (level 1), which in turn include other master projects (lvl 2), which include sub-projects (lvl 3). The sub-projects of level 3 have been published to PWA, the master projects of lvl 1 and 2 have not been published and are only used for client reporting. However in PWA in the project center some of the published sub-projects are only displayed if the checkbox "subprojects" in the ribbon menu is checked whereas others are displayed permanently.

Can you explain this phenomenon? Which property of projects does have an impact on beeing affected by un/checking "subprojects". Which sequence of publishings can have an impact?

Thank you and kind regards
    PhilippH

Monday, April 25, 2016 4:44 PM

All replies

• There are four types of Projects. Project, Subproject , Master Project and Project Template . Project server automatically assign projects types in the database depending on how there are set. Selecting the checkbox on Project server simply display all published subproject.

Hrishi Deshpande, Project MVP

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

thank you for the clarification. However my issue is that the only projects we have published are subprojects (i.e. projects that have been inserted into master projects which have not been published) and using the checkbox "subprojects" only impacts on some of the published projects.

My expectation would be that given we only have subprojects published to the PWA:

- having not checked the checkbox results in no project is displayed in Project Center

- haveing checked the checkbox results in all projects are displayed

However the situation we are facing is something in between as even when the checkbox is not checked the majority of our subprojects is displayed in PWA.

That's why i'm asking about any additional implicit or explicit project property that makes a project a subproject or not.

Kind regards

Philipp

Friday, April 29, 2016 7:56 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

When you select the checkbox, it should display subprojects which will not be the case if unselected.

If you have master projects inserted in other master projects, it might be a bit confusing for the application. When you create your first master project, it is flagged as "master project" as Hrishi said. But when you insert it in another master plan, it is then flagged as "sub project" which I think overwrite the previous "master project" value. Then I think that it dépends on the order of your operations, the last one overwriting previous operations.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Friday, April 29, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Dear Guillaume,

thank you for the input. Unfortunately our issue is only with subprojects that have never been masterprojects, unless the application might get confused about the status of subprojects (level 3) included in a master project (level 2) that is inserted into another master project (level 1). The displaying issue is only with subprojects of level 3. It seems like we need to arrange with having checked the checkbox all the time, to make sure we see all projects in PWA. This would be a valid workaround.

Kind regards

Philipp

Monday, May 2, 2016 9:57 AM