How to modify SCE 2007 alert notificatios to look simple. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have installed and configure SCE 2007 for our small network monitoring.

We have few websites monitoring going on through SCE 2007 sites are hosted locally.

When a site goes down I get below kind of message.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Alert: Web Application - IIS-kubotamanuals.orderline.com Priority: 1 Severity: 2 Resolution state: New

Alert: Web Application - IIS-kubotamanuals.orderline.com

Source: IIS-kubotamanuals.orderline.com

Path: ol-srv-sdc.orderline.com

Last modified by: System

Last modified time: 2/17/2009 9:53:44 AM Alert description:

Alert view link: "?DisplayMode=Pivot&AlertID=%7b71fd206d-9dfe-44dc-b15d-4a737a7e6c6f%7d"

Notification subscription ID generating this message: {25D81859-E610-BD7C-190C-4AE2E0798712}

We wants to simplify this message like below

Is it achievable?

Alert: kubotamanuals.orderline.com  web site DOWN.

Resolution state: NEW

Alert Time: 2/17/2009 9:53:44 AM Alert description:

Unique ID (some sort of number that is unique for this alert)

Server Name hosting web site: ol-srv-004

Customer to Contact: Fred

Customer phone number Off: 416-568-2500 x 7264

Customer phone number Cell: 416-568-2501

Customer e mail: fred@123.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And once the site is back up another message should go like below.

Alert: kubotamanuals.orderline.com  web site UP

Resolution state: CLOSED

Total resolution time: 160 min.

Alert Time: 2/17/2009 9:53:44 AM

Alerts resolved: 2/17/2009 11:53:44 AM

Unique ID (some sort of number that is unique for this alert)

Server Name hosting web site: ol-srv-004

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And is it possible to schedule availability and downtime reports monthly or weekly to be sent out to responsible employees.

Thank you

Imran

administrator@orderline.com

Shift the Ctrl in our hands and we will Alt the world.
    • Edited by Farhan Choudhry Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:52 PM spell correction
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can modify the notification format in SCE console - Administartion space - Notification - Subscription - Formats
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Cant you create a group for each customer, then a subscription for each customer and custom format on each subscription? Use the group to filter the objects in a subscription.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can modify the notification format in SCE console - Administartion space - Notification - Subscription - Formats
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hi Eric

Yes but thats a global notification change,
    - for example we have 10 clinets and we are hosting their website on our servers,
    - We have 3 CSRs who are looking after these 10 clients
    - We are monitoring this 10 clinets website internally using SCE 2007
    - When any of these clinets web site goes down, I need to have alert message which also should go to CSRs so that they can notify thier clients and and also should go to Call Center so if customers call in Call center agents know that yes site is down and we are working on it.
    - This alert message should include which ever clients contact info for example if Yamaha customers web site it down on our server alert message should include this info below. so every alert has custom message specailly web monitoring so CSRs can notify respected customer.
    ------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------
    - second question that i have is what does this text mean in alert and how can it be utilized.
    Alert view link: "?DisplayMode=Pivot&AlertID=%7b71fd206d-9dfe-44dc-b15d-4a737a7e6c6f%7d"

Notification subscription ID generating this message: {25D81859-E610-BD7C-190C-4AE2E0798712}

Thank you.
    Imran
    Network Administrator
    administrator@orderline.com

Friday, May 29, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Cant you create a group for each customer, then a subscription for each customer and custom format on each subscription? Use the group to filter the objects in a subscription.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Hi Anderes

Fantastic idea.. appriciates...  is it possible to have this elaborated a bit more in terms of steps as one example and rest based on that i will take care, this will really help people out there who end up building internal company SLA and will really help opt in / opt out people to what they should be alerted for and what not.

Thanky you once again will be waiting on above request.

Imran
    Network Administrator.

Friday, June 5, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

I don't have a SCE server in front of me today, so I cant post really all steps. But start with the groups. If you have something common for each customer you can create dynamic groups. For example if the customers has a name standard you can base your groups on this, to make sure correct customer in the correct group. Then create notification subscriptions with custom format, one for each group/customer.

--

Anders Bengtsson
    Microsoft MVP - Ops Mgr
    www.contoso.se
    "imran admin" wrote in message news:a397cd50-25d2-4ce 3-a364-3f8abb8f747e...
    Hi Anderes

Fantastic idea.. appriciates...  is it possible to have this elaborated a bit more in terms of steps as one example and rest based on that i will take care, this will really help people out there who end up building internal company SLA and will really help opt in / opt out people to what they should be alerted for and what not.

Thanky you once again will be waiting on above request.

Imran
    Network Administrator.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:13 AM
  • Hi Eric Just a quick one but rally driving me crazy ( formating the e mail message how can i make it to go to second line)... so i have setup the alert group and created a notification subcription and made me a member of it.
    here is what i have configure....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Resolution state:___$Data/Context/DataItem/ResolutionStateName$
    Alert:____________$Data/Context/DataItem/AlertName$
    Last modified time:__$Data/Context/DataItem/LastModifiedLocal$
    Alert Rais Time:____$Data/Context/DataItem/TimeRaisedLocal$

** Tasks need to be performed upon receiving this e mail until notified as "Resolution state: Closed" **

Network Admin:
    - Estimate approx time for resolution and notify all staff.
    - Take necessary steps to troubleshoot the issue, notify programmer if requires assistance.

Call Center:
    - Inform any calls complaining about kubotamanuals.orderline.com down that we are aware of issue and our IT team is working on it and will be resolved shortly.
    - Take e mail address and notify as soon as resolution status in e mail becomes closed
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the site goes down i get below message in e mail you can see the line that i have bolded i want every function to go in seperate line i.e. Last modified time:__8/13/2009 5:03:24 PM should go in separate line and so as Alert Rais Time:____8/13/2009 5:03:21 PM i am having hard time fixing the formatting is there a symbol or something that you have add to make them go in separate line i hit enter does not work i added space does not work... please help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Resolution state:___New
    Alert:____________Web Application - IIS-kubotamanuals.orderline.com Last modified time:__8/13/2009 5:03:24 PM Alert Rais Time:____8/13/2009 5:03:21 PM

** Tasks need to be performed upon receiving this e mail until notified as "Resolution state: Closed" **

Network Admin:
    - Estimate approx time for resolution and notify all staff.
    - Take necessary steps to troubleshoot the issue, notify programmer if requires assistance.

Call Center:
    - Inform any calls complaining about kubotamanuals.orderline.com down that we are aware of issue and our IT team is working on it and will be resolved shortly.
    - Take e mail address and notify as soon as resolution status in e mail becomes closed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:19 PM