Windows Explorer - possible to new files at bottom of list? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm really trying to like the new Windows Explorer, but Microsoft is making it hard. This is one of the most annoying things about using Mac OS, and now I get to enjoy it on Windows too. If I unzip, create, or download a file, instead of appearing at the bottom it appears where it would normally reside based on the sort order. This makes my particular workflows a complete nightmare. I know I can sort by date modified, but in the case of zip files etc. they retain their original date and don't appear at the bottom of the list. Besides, I'm busy doing file management, I need my sort order.

Please please please, there has to be a way to turn this off. I'm getting sick of using a photo viewer to do my file management.

Friday, July 24, 2009 1:03 AM

All replies

• Right click on desktop, choose View, uncheck "Auto arrange icons".

Does it work?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:14 AM
  • No, and I checked the registry and group policy and I don't see anything related to auto-refresh. 

Anyone?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Right click Name in right panel heading & you will see, can select various dates. When you find which variable allows sequence you want, you can go Tools dropdown->FolderOptions->View->Apply to all folders. 

Friday, July 24, 2009 9:43 AM
  • I know I can sort by date created and find the latest files. But I'm working in a folder and I've got files popping in every minute, I'm trying to manage them but I spending more time looking for them.

Is there any way to turn of the auto-refresh, or force new files to appear at the bottom in Windows Explorer?

Anybody?
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:38 AM
  • I also have found this irritating, has anyone found a solution to force files to the bottom of a list. If for example unzipping a file I do not want them all to be arrange automatically, i want them at the bottom not mingled in.
    Any help would be much appretiated!!
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:31 PM
  • I'm really trying to like the new Windows Explorer, but Microsoft is making it hard.
    For me, it is impossible to like the new explorer. It is just a complete terrible mess.
    The auto arrange of files is just ONE of dozens of annoyances.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:12 PM
  • I wonder if anyone at microsoft has judged the usability of a user interface where you press "New Folder" and your view is moved to N, you type the new folder name "ZZZ", click somewhere in the window to commit the name change, the new folder disappears down to Z and you are left with a window showing the folders beginning with N and not the one you have just created. Then you need to scroll to "ZZZ" to open the folder you have just created.
    To avoid this behaviour you need to give up on the alphabetical order and sort by date.
    If this is the best you can achieve after 20 years of writing file explorers then I am impressed.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Its not really a great viable solution tho is it? It is a very bad user interface design for existing windows users, however i can image the benefits to new users. It cant be that hard for big brother to give you the option tho is it?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:56 PM
  • however i can image the benefits to new users.
    Haha, you're joking right? A year ago my boss got a Macbook Pro. Finder for Mac is Explorer for Windows. Finder does this same thing. He's had the machine over a year and I can't tell you how many times he creates a new folder, or extracts a zip, or downloads a file (safari keeps original date when downloading) and I hear him say "where did it go?".

I'm an experienced user and I can't count the times I've said "awww darn where did it go?" I find myself using ACDSee as my file manager more and more. Really.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Im glad im not the only one that finds it bloody annoying lol.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:45 PM
  • >If for example unzipping a file I do not want them all to be arrange automatically, 
    >i want them at the bottom not mingled in.

Oh man, this is a huge problem for me.  As a DBA, I receive lots of files in a single directory.  If I am debugging a problem, I want to see the new files as they come in-- without changing my sort order.  I really like new files showing up at the bottom of the list in Windows Explorer.  There has to be a setting to change this somewhere...
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Please Microsoft, let us turn off the Auto Arrange within folders so we can place our files anywhere we want within a folder. It is maddening to have to conform to a certain sort order when you don't want your files sorted! I can do this on the Windows 7 desktop, but not within a folder. We have been able to do this with all previous versions of Windows. Why can't we do it with the latest and greatest - Windows 7? It doesn't make sense!!!!!!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:15 PM
  • When Windows Explorer is open, if you click on the Date Modified column, the most recent folders or files will be at the bottom or one more click, at the top.

You can also add the Date Created column by right-clicking the header column area and adding that column. You can then sort by oldest or latest first by clicking the column header.

There are many other columns available to add for sorting (filtering) folders and files.

This works for a drive or within a folder.

To open Windows Explorer and get the view you need with one click does seem like something that is broken or a mess. (many other adjectives previously used) One may not always be searching or viewing by a fixed filter. Configure it to your preferences.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:02 AM
  • There are many other columns available to add for sorting (filtering) folders and files.

Yeah, there are lots of them ... all useless to the people who want NO sorting.  HOW DIFFICULT IS THIS TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?
    Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version --- Dual Booting With --- Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Hi p_v_s,

Then you can right click the column header in the Windows Explorer pane, select more and uncheck all of the file sorting options. The only one that you cannot remove is name.

The original poster wanted sorting.

Configure Windows 7 to your preferences.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:32 PM
  • One thing I notice about these forums is that people love to provide solutions that don't actually adress the problem at hand.

Sorting is great when it's  appropriate for your workflow; but when I extract archives or copy files they don't appear as most recent, their original file dates still apply. How exactly does sorting help this problem?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:09 AM
  • I'm really trying to like the new Windows Explorer, but Microsoft is making it hard. This is one of the most annoying things about using Mac OS, and now I get to enjoy it on Windows too. If I unzip, create, or download a file, instead of appearing at the bottom it appears where it would normally reside based on the sort order. This makes my particular workflows a complete nightmare. I know I can sort by date modified, but in the case of zip files etc. they retain their original date and don't appear at the bottom of the list. Besides, I'm busy doing file management, I need my sort order.

Please please please, there has to be a way to turn this off. I'm getting sick of using a photo viewer to do my file management.

leobaby,

Well, as you stated in your original post, "I need my sort order".

If you add the column header "date last saved", click and drag that column next to name, click on the column to set oldest first, your added files will appear at the bottom.(Whether extracted or copied) Click on the "date last saved column" again and you new files appear at the top.

Remove other headers that you don't want. Reduce the number of filters.

Configure to your preferences in the file list pane, filter the view and stop being "busy doing file management". A file will "normally reside based on the sort order" that you determine.

Start=>Help and Support=>search "working with files and folders" and "working with the navigation pane".

• Edited by Nano Warp Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:49 AM added text
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hi p_v_s,

Then you can right click the column header in the Windows Explorer pane, select more and uncheck all of the file sorting options. The only one that you cannot remove is name.

The original poster wanted sorting.

Configure Windows 7 to your preferences.

Umm, no ... the OP wanted a way to TURN IT OFF.  Read the last couple of sentences!

Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version --- Dual Booting With --- Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:09 PM
  • @leobaby

Another user (DEFCON) posted this link in a different thread a while back.  I have not tried it, as I simply don't use Win 7, preferring XP SP3 for many reasons.  (W7 wound up being the worst waste of $200 that I ever made).

Anyway, maybe give this a shot ... it COULD work, I guess.  Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92758-windows-explorer-auto-arrange-disable.html

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:21 PM

leobaby,

Well, as you stated in your original post, "I need my sort order".

If you add the column header "date last saved", click and drag that column next to name, click on the column to set oldest first, your added files will appear at the bottom.(Whether extracted or copied) Click on the "date last saved column" again and you new files appear at the top.

Remove other headers that you don't want. Reduce the number of filters.

Configure to your preferences in the file list pane, filter the view and stop being "busy doing file management". A file will "normally reside based on the sort order" that you determine.

Start=>Help and Support=>search "working with files and folders" and "working with the navigation pane".

I will repeat: One thing I notice about these forums is that people love to provide solutions that don't actually address the problem at hand. I understand the urge to try and help, but I believe my post was quite clear (save the typo in the subject). I really appreciate the effort, but simply adding incorrect information does not help; you are making this thread worse. You are adding to the disinformation.

I don't know if you know this, but if you extract files from an archive the "Date last saved" is not today. The date of the original file is retained. So if I extract a file someone created last week, I have to look through my files from last week to find it.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Instead of sorting by date created you can group by date created, this way you get latest files _and_ folders grouped together. Right click inside the folder and choose Group By -> Date created (if Date created is not there click More and find it). This way your new files and folders will be always at the bottom (or top). In addition you can also sort the files any way you like while keeping them grouped.

This will work for the files and folders extracted from the archives and copied and pasted from somewhere else.

There still might be an issue if you have a big number of files and folders created today. You may need to hunt for a folder or file in the today's list.

Autosort is an annoying new feature, I miss the way XP handled the files.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Well Service Pack 1 Release Candidate is out and I don't see this blocking problem fixed in it. Working with files is impossible without auto sort and auto arrange turned off. I have formatted and gone back to Windows XP SP3. No problem with that OS.

Microsoft can't take any action or notice but I definitely can.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Send your feedback here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:07 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:47 AM