none
VssNullProver stopped after installing Update Rollup 3 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Update Rollup 3 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 R2.

As part of the update I updated all DPM Agents, including the ones on our Hyper-V Servers (which are part of a cluster). I also rebooted every DPM Protected Servers. After reboot all Hyper-V Servers raise a warning that the VssNullProvider service has stopped. Backup seems to work properly. I can start the VssNullProvider service manually. But after the next backup the service it is stopped again. Exactly the same issue occurs on our test Hyper-V Cluster. All our Hyper-V Servers run Windows Server 2012 R2 and we use System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2.

Something is not ok with Update Rollup 3. Any suggestions?

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer".

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can safely change the startup type from Automatic to Manual to avoid the warnings.  We are looking into the behavior.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Thank you for the update. Are my VM backups ok without this service?

Can you keep us informed through this post?

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security | Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer".

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

The service should start when a new backup is initiated by DPM.

SEE BLOG:

Support Tip Service Manager alert for the VSSNullProvider service after installing DPM 2012 R2 UR3

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue here with two Hyper-V Clusters.

Backups are working, but on every Hyper-V Server there are errors with the service.

Monday, September 8, 2014 12:09 PM
  • Hi

SEE NEW BLOG:

Support Tip Service Manager alert for the VSSNullProvider service after installing DPM 2012 R2 UR3

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:09 AM
  • Hi

SEE NEW BLOG:

Thanks!

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security | Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer".

Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:45 PM