none
DHCP Server Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having multiple DHCP server 2008r2 is available in my enviroment.

So my question is, which DHCP server provide IP to my client out of that multiple DHCP servers.

Thanks & Regards,

Shashank Saxena

shashank saxena

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Shashank,

The DHCP server doesn't in this scenario. You would have a single scope on each server and then the client would choose to accept the lease of whichever server provided a DHCP offer first. If you wanted to ensure that a particular server appeared as a 'primary' then you could add a delay on the other DHCP server so that the 'primary' always responded first.

Thanks

Daniel

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Caulfield Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shanky94 Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to have multiple servers you should use a split-scope in server 2008 R2 or Failover DHCP in Server 2012 and later

See the guide below on configuring split-scope

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759192(v=ws.11).aspx

I can't be sure this is what you have done but if you have simply configured 2 DHCP servers with the same scope then you are likely to get conflicts.

Thanks
    Daniel

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Hi shshanks,

>> which DHCP server provide IP to my client out of that multiple DHCP servers.

When the devices on your network first request an IP address they will simply broadcast a request for a DHCP server, and will accept an offer from the first DHCP server to reply.

The split-scope splits your scope for easy to manage if your DHCP server are in the same network segment.

For example: if you have a range of DHCP addresses to issue to clients from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200, then both servers should be configured to serve separate parts of that range, so the first server might use parts of that scope from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 and the second server would then issue 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.200.

If you have several VLANs or physical network segments that are separated into different subnets, you could configure a DHCP relay agent to forward packets.

More information please refer to the following article:

https://serverfault.com/questions/368512/can-i-have-multiple-dhcp-servers-on-one-network

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hi shshanks,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hello,

I am not getting one thing that, how will that DHCP server decide from which scope IP will provide??

Thanks & Regards,

Shashank Saxena

shashank saxena

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:11 PM
  • Hi Shashank,

The DHCP server doesn't in this scenario. You would have a single scope on each server and then the client would choose to accept the lease of whichever server provided a DHCP offer first. If you wanted to ensure that a particular server appeared as a 'primary' then you could add a delay on the other DHCP server so that the 'primary' always responded first.

Thanks

Daniel

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Caulfield Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shanky94 Sunday, April 30, 2017 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:29 PM