App-V client not working in disconnected operation mode when the User Data Directory is pointed to a DFS share. RRS feed

• Question

• As the topic indicates, has anyone run into this issue?  When I disconnect from the network and try launching an App-V app, I received the following error message.

[11/30/2011 10:19:24:233 JGSW ERR] {hap=6:app=Microsoft Project 2010 14.0.4751.1000:tid=73C:usr=USERNAME}

The Application Virtualization Client could not connect to a server because it encountered error 0DF03306-0000000E trying to set up the data directory for this user.

[11/30/2011 10:19:24:235 SWAP ERR] {hap=6:app=Microsoft Project 2010 14.0.4751.1000:tid=73C:usr= USERNAME}

The client was unable to connect to an Application Virtualization Server (rc 0DF03306-0000000E)

[11/30/2011 10:19:24:343 TRAY ERR] {tid=1418:usr= USERNAME}

The Application Virtualization Client could not launch Microsoft Project 2010 14.0.4751.1000.

Your Application Virtualization data cannot be accessed. Report the following error code to your System Administrator.

Error code: 4617581-0DF03306-0000000E

Our User Data Directory is set to a DFS share(\\server1\USERNAME\SoftGrid Content) because we want to be able to user the same settings between Windows and Citrix.  We don't want to set the path in the roaming profile because there's a size limit on roaming profiles in our organization.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

Kam

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you caching the DFS location on those laptops? I have seen this issue even with Offline Files caching the User Data Directory. It could be that both the SYSTEM account and the user account need access to the location. Something that's not going to work with Offline Files.

If the network location is not accessible, then that's exactly what's going to happen. The client needs to copy the PKG file from the User Data Directory at application launch.

A better approach would be to use a 3rd party profile management solution to manage settings between client types and application delivery solutions. See this white paper for a discussion on solutions available: http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/rubenspruijt/archive/2011/11/01/user-environment-management-smackdown-head-to-head-analysis-of-appsense-citrix-immidio-liquidware-labs-microsoft-quest-res-scense-tricerat-unidesk-and-vuem.aspx

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Marked as answer by Kam D Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Hello,

Just first thought that came into my head; Does the Softgrid Content folder exist for each user? Seems like something very plausible to cause a failure - if it doesn't exist.

Otherwise; its not reachable, its not writeable, its not... you name it

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Yes.  Within each user's folder there is a SoftGrid Content folder.  BTW, I forget to mention I'm using the Virtual App component in SCCM 2007 R3.  We actually never setup the DFS share to be accessible in offline mode.  Once we enabled that, everything started working in disconnected operation mode again. :D  We actually never thought to do that... lol.  My organization is also already looking into using Appsense for profile management in the future.  Thanks for the tips Aaron.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:38 PM