Issue while trying to install Security update on Exchange 2013 CU 23 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone.

I am trying security update KB4536988 in order to mitigate cve-2020-0688. We have total 10 servers out of which 4 are Exchange 2010 sp3 on which I was able to install RU 30. We also have 6 Exchange 2013 servers all with CU 23 installed 3 of which are CAS servers and rest 3 are Mailbox Servers. I was able to install this security update on other 5 servers but when I wanted to install this patch on the sixth server, I started facing the problem.

The installation exits abruptly few seconds after initiation prompting me to select msi file and gives me a message "The installed product does not match the installation source." In use source I can see it is looking for "Exchange 2013 CU 18 msi file". As it has CU23 installed, I tried to point it to CU 23 msi file but it ended up with another error "The file "C:\cu23\exchangeserver.msi" is not a valid installation package for the product microsoft Exchange Server. Try to find the installation package "exchangeserver.msi" in a folder from which you can install Microsoft Exchange Server" even though I was not prompted for anything as such on any of the other servers.

I also tried by copying Exchange 2013 CU18 files on this server but that did not help either.

If anyone has come accross this error. Please help me understand the underlying problem and fix it for once.

Basheer Syed

Monday, July 20, 2020 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Basheerssyed,

It's strange that it's looking for Exchange 2013 CU18 msi file instead of the msi file of current CU. How did you see it?

Please make sure CU23 is installed with the following command, contrast the result with Exchange server build number:

Get-ExchangeServer | Format-List Name,Edition,AdminDisplayVersion

"I also tried by copying Exchange 2013 CU18 files on this server but that did not help either."

Were you dealing it like: Copy the exchangeserver.msi file extracted from CU18 and paste it on the server, point the installation to that msi file.

This Exchange Server 2013 - Setup, Deployment, Updates, and Migration Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Microsoft Online: Migration and Coexistence forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:34 AM
  • Hello Eric

Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I did. I copied cu23 files and try to point installation to msi of that but it did not recognize it. I also checked exchange version and it is similar to the other servers where I have been able to install this patch without any problem.

Basheer Syed

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

I just install the KB on my CU23 server without any errors.

Normally it will not prompt to select any mis file, right?

You can turn on "Windows Update" and wait for it updating automatically, which is also a supported method of KB4536988.

This Exchange Server 2013 - Setup, Deployment, Updates, and Migration Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Microsoft Online: Migration and Coexistence forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:25 AM
  • Hello Eric

That is exactly my point. I have done this many times and it never asked to select msi file like it did for this server. Even the infra where this server exists has 5 more Exchange 2013 CU23 servers where I could install this patch without any problem.

Let me see what I can do to install this KB from windows update directly.

Basheer Syed

Thursday, July 23, 2020 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

Looking forward to your updates.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Friday, July 24, 2020 8:19 AM