Error on page RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Environment: - MOSS 2007 (SP1)
    Issue:- Error on page (Info below)

Summary:-
    when I try to open, Site actionsà site Settings (On site collections and even in central administration) I end up getting the message “Error on page”, I then have enabled Call Stack to True in the web.config of the web application which then gave me the below message.

Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'.   at System.Web.UI.TagPrefixTagNameToTypeMapper.System.Web.UI.ITagNameToTypeMapper.GetControlType(String tagName, IDictionary attribs)
       at System.Web.UI.MainTagNameToTypeMapper.GetControlType2(String tagName, IDictionary attribs, Boolean fAllowHtmlTags)
       at System.Web.UI.MainTagNameToTypeMapper.GetControlType(String tagName, IDictionary attribs, Boolean fAllowHtmlTags)
       at System.Web.UI.RootBuilder.GetChildControlType(String tagName, IDictionary attribs)
       at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateChildBuilder(String filter, String tagName, IDictionary attribs, TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, String id, Int32 line, VirtualPath virtualPath, Type& childType, Boolean defaultProperty)
       at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessBeginTag(Match match, String inputText)
       at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)

Questions

1)      Any Ideas what is causing the issue?

2)      I also have some site collection where I am able to access the Site settings window?

3)      What steps can be taken to overcome the issue?

Thanks,
    Satyam

Live life king size
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Resolved the issue, i made some change to the file application.master in the 12 hive, which has caused the issue.
    reverted back the changes, the pages are now back and running.

Rick, Avniash and Omar Thank you for all the help and support.

Thanks,
    Satyam

Live life king size
    • Marked as answer by satyamnityam Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:13 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:12 PM

All replies

• The first thing I would do is look in your ULS logs and see if any errors are being produced there.

Also, how was your site changed to produce this error? (Recent restore, new web apps, new farm etc......)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hi Satyam,

If you are using AJAX control in your page or webpart, and you missed the required entries in web.config file then you will get Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager' error.

Please add following entry in web.config file:

<pages>
      <controls>
        <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
      </controls>
    </pages>

Regards, Avinash | avinashkt.blogspot.com
    • Edited by AvinashKT Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:32 AM xml formatting
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Did you customize the master page, i guess so but please confirm, you may have changed anything in the ScriptManager in the master page, so it is in wrong syntax, because i see you can open site settings page which uses different master page.
    Mai Omar | Senior Solutions Developer | ITEgyptCorp | MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP & MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer | Email: mai_omar_86@live.com | Blog: http://maiomar.itegyptcorp.com
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Hi all,

Resolved the issue, i made some change to the file application.master in the 12 hive, which has caused the issue.
    reverted back the changes, the pages are now back and running.

Rick, Avniash and Omar Thank you for all the help and support.

Thanks,
    Satyam

Live life king size
    • Marked as answer by satyamnityam Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:13 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:12 PM