none
Manage resources between multiple instances of PWA RRS feed

• Question

• We have two different divisions in our company that require separate instances of PWA.  We do, however, we share some resources between the two divisions.  Is there any way to do capacity planning between the two PWAs without having to purchase a third party tool?

Thank you for any suggestions

Daren Johnson

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• You're probably looking at a two step process to get this done.

1) As the two PWA instances store data in separate database, your first step will be to combine these two data sources into one. You could accomplish this with a SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) package that writes this data to a new table/DB.

2) If you're interested in having that overall capacity timephased, you will probably need to build a custom OLAP cube in SQL Analysis Services (SSAS) which uses the data you have combined in the first step.

After you've done this, you're ready to design some reports in Excel using data from your new OLAP cube. However, one thing to pay close attention to is duplicate capacities. You will have to come up with a mechanism to identify resources that are available in both PWA instances and ensure that their overall capacity (across PWA instances) is accurate.

I hope this will get you going in the right direction... There might be other ways to get this done, but this would be my preferred approach.

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:33 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, there is no out of the box way to manage resources automatically between two separate instances.

One "Manual" way I can think of is to balance the Maximum units of availability for the resource between both the instance. This will help your PM's in planning so that they do not over allocate the resource(s).

For monitoring purposes, you could build a report that will query both Reporting Databases and give you data as to what they are assigned in each of the instance.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:32 PM
  • You're probably looking at a two step process to get this done.

1) As the two PWA instances store data in separate database, your first step will be to combine these two data sources into one. You could accomplish this with a SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) package that writes this data to a new table/DB.

2) If you're interested in having that overall capacity timephased, you will probably need to build a custom OLAP cube in SQL Analysis Services (SSAS) which uses the data you have combined in the first step.

After you've done this, you're ready to design some reports in Excel using data from your new OLAP cube. However, one thing to pay close attention to is duplicate capacities. You will have to come up with a mechanism to identify resources that are available in both PWA instances and ensure that their overall capacity (across PWA instances) is accurate.

I hope this will get you going in the right direction... There might be other ways to get this done, but this would be my preferred approach.

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Hi :-)

Are you using Project Server 2010? Have you studied the possibility of using a single instance and use the functionality "Departments" to handle your functional units?

Juan Pablo.
    surpoint.blogspot.com
    jpussacq.me
    @jpussacq

Friday, March 30, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Agreed with jpussacq, just need to add one more thing, apart from Departments we have RBS as well that will handle your scenario.

Thanks, Kashif

Monday, April 2, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Thank you for the ideas.  Unfortunately, with the type of contracts we have, we are legally bound to have data segregated data.  I will need to explore options like Prasanna and shelldor23 mention above.

Daren Johnson

Monday, April 2, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi

What about security by category?

Do not satisfy the requirement to handle the separation of information?

Juan Pablo.
    surpoint.blogspot.com
    jpussacq.me
    @jpussacq

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:45 PM
  • We've pulled the information from both instances of PWA into Excel using PowerPivot and custom SQL statements.  Having the timephased information in pivot table format will allow us to accomplish the resource planning we were hoping for.  Thanks for the ideas!

Daren Johnson

Monday, April 9, 2012 1:03 PM