Remove OWA on one of the Exchange 2010 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

Please advise how to remove/disable OWA for whole of a server in one of the site.

Exchange server we are running is 2010

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hello Team,

Please advise how to remove/disable OWA for whole of a server in one of the site.

You cant remove it. If you don't want people using that server, then remove it from any load balancing pool and simply stop the OWA app pool on the server.
    • Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Friday, August 18, 2017 12:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by RockSteps Monday, August 21, 2017 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hello Team,

You cant remove it. If you don't want people using that server, then remove it from any load balancing pool and simply stop the OWA app pool on the server.
    • Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Friday, August 18, 2017 12:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by RockSteps Monday, August 21, 2017 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

---> "how to remove/disable OWA for whole of a server in one of the site"

Do you mean that there are lots of Exchange server in your environment, however only want to block OWA connection to one special Exchange server?
    If I mislead your concern, please be free to let me know.

As we know, the OWA connection will be proxy or redirect to proper Exchange server by mailbox location. Thus, we cannot disable OWA connection on one special server. However, as above mentions the OWA connection will connect to proper Exchange server base on mailbox location, therefore we can disable OWA feature on all user mailboxes on this special server as a workaround.

For example:
    Get-Mailbox -Server <server name> | Set-CASMailbox -OWAEnabled $false
    Note: it will disable OWA features for user mailbox (include internal and external access).

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:16 PM
  • That's right. Need to remove it only on one set of servers(2 servers in LB on a specific region), and there are no more mailboxes in that.
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:35 PM
  • That's what I'd recommend as well.

If it's really important to you that the server not serve up OWA, then you could add the Web-IP-Security feature, and then in IIS Administrator block all IPs from connecting to the OWA virtual directory.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJFModerator Friday, August 18, 2017 7:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by RockSteps Monday, August 21, 2017 11:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RockSteps Monday, August 21, 2017 11:56 AM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:25 PM
  • ok. Thanks for your assistance.
    Friday, August 18, 2017 4:05 AM
  • Allen_WangJF, that won't work for several reasons.  The CAS role is still active on that server for all mailboxes not on that server.  Further, in a DAG, mailboxes aren't truly associated with a server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, August 18, 2017 6:03 AM
  • Thanks for your correct.

I know my suggestion only works in a ideal world, however it's hard to management in a real world. Anyway, it's another idea for RockStips requirement.

@RockSteps, if the above suggestion is helpful for you, please be free to mark it as answer.
    Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 18, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Allen_WangJF, I'm sorry to have to tell you that your suggestion doesn't work in any world.

Friday, August 18, 2017 4:16 PM