none
SharePoint 2013 non-HA Farm in Azure OR O365 SharePoint Online is better?

Question

• Hi,

We are using the on-perm. SharePoint 2010 and planing to update to SharePoint 2016.
    We are considering to migrate to O365 SharePoint Online / migrate to Azure SharePoint as IaaS.
    Which one is better? It is because we don't want to maintenance the on-perm. SharePoint and the Hong Kong on-perm. SharePoint want to share with China and USA to use in the future.
    May I know any concerns from on-perm. SharePoint to Cloud base? Any performance issues?

Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:58 PM

All replies

• SharePoint Online: SPO is the tenant based application and controlled by Microsoft. SPO is good for simple application and easy maintain content. We do not have all feature which SharePoint on promis support. We must choose based on your application.

Azure SharePoint IaaS: This is similar to maintaining On-perm. Rather than, Hosting your VM in your own datacenter, you were hosted in Microsoft data center in Azure.  You can use Lift and Shift method of VMs. Server and SharePoint Maintains remains unchanged SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 Azure as IaaS. In Azure, you can maintain critical application also as like how you maintain in SharePoint 2010.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Lalith

----------------------------------------

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue.

Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:34 PM
  • Thanks, Kirank

How can test the actual performance? The Microsoft document showed the high level information only: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff758659.aspx
    Any idea when I access the big file on SPO / Azure SP Server farm?

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:08 AM
  • We can not compare SPO and Azure SharePoint IaaS. Reason is that, SPO is completely tenant based application and controlled by Microsoft. Azure SharePoint IaaS is infrastructure  and completely manageable by you or your client. We will go for IaaS for implementation of custom application. But patch updates, maintains not done by Microsoft.

If you want manage Out of box features only in SharePoint, then I recommend go for SPO. SPO performance is completely depend on the user internet speed. Azure SharePoint IaaS performance is all depend on your maintains. Configuration of IaaS is rather complex because you should have sound knowledge in Admin and depend on network team as well.

Thanks

Lalith

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Thanks, Lalith

I just want to compare the performance between on-perm. SharePoint and Azure SharePoint?

How can I do the  measure performance of SharePoint Server?

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Azure has given lot of tools for Load testing and Performance testing internally and externally. And Azure maintain traffic manager which direct the traffic based on availability. And also, you can set up Scale up and down your systems based by defining rules. Azure is implementing day by day with new feature. Hence no doubts about Performance in SharePoint server which hosted in azure.

Thanks

Lalith

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:18 PM
  • First of all you'll have no access or any idea resource used to host SPO. On other hands, you will know every piece of your Azure VM resource. 

So, if you're planning to move to cloud consider other factors like compliance not performance. 

Hope this helps. 

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:57 PM
  • Thanks Asfaw,

After I upload and download the documents from SP Online / Azure SP Server, where can I see the performance? Should the Azure record the traffic performance? or I can use the OMS to take the traffic logs?

Friday, May 5, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Fiddler is a good tool to have a glimpse of performance between SPO/Azure. But, again we need to understand Azure as IaaS and performance of servers depends on lot of factors.

Here is a good resource on Azure Infra:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/andrewc/2016/09/09/understanding-azure-virtual-machine-iops-throughput-and-disk-latency/ 

If performance is your major deciding factor then nothing can beat SPO :) 

Hope this helps. 

Monday, May 8, 2017 3:08 PM